Electric Grill (Smoker) thermostat IR drop?

The thermostat that plugs into my smoker has blue corrosion on the hot side of the wiring. The manufacturer insists that this is from using an extension cord. Why would that cause the thermostat/controller to burn out?
The faceplate wattage on this grill is 1500 watts. The extension cord (60 feet) is a 16/2 gauge.
The maker, Masterbuilt, won't sell replacement parts, only new controllers for $50. Pricey when the whole box cost $250.
If the extension cord isn't the problem, I'm going to solder/crimp some new connectors inside the controller.
On 30/08/2019 2:54 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I reckon they are having you on, low voltage (if any caused by the extension) wont burn out a 'stat. Just remake the connections and check for condensation etc in the controller
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Wrote in message:

The voltage drop due to the extension cord makes the smoker work with lower voltage.working with lower voltage makes it draw more amperes.thus the corrosion.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 20:06:04 +0300 (EEST), dimitris tzortzakakis

I guess Ohm was wrong and all of that engineering since then was bullshit. I think not.
More resistance causes lower current and the watts will be considerably lower. (square of the voltage drop) The resistance will cause heat and that might be causing the corrosion tho.