engineers week project

Hi,

I need some help here. My company would like engineers to go out to the schools for engineer week. I asked some electrical co-workers what they demo at the school and the response is bridge building. Lame, we are electrical engineers. I have never seen a demo but why can't we make an electrical project. I'm thinking about putting together a led kit that runs off of a aaa battery. I will go over all the parts, design, construction (they will get to build one with solderless connectors of some sort) and have some calculations for them as well as possible packaging techniques for their own research.

Comments?

Reply to
jim123e

Use the LED to compare with a regular flash light lamp to show power savings possible. Get, (borrow), a traffic signal LED replacement to show practical use.

You might try a solar power demo. Get a small motor to run on a solar array. You can use a lamp inside.

I had a motor/generator driving a propeller, which could be used to demonstrate wind power generation, using a common fan to provide the "wind".

I enjoyed my talks with the kids. Got some real good reactions!

Virg Wall, P.E.

Reply to
VWWall

Build a bridge--an electrical bridge. If you have a resistor substitution box and a galvanometer, show how you can measure the resistance of an unknown. Use your imagination.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

How much money do you have?

It seems that engineers with time on their hands and spare cash are setting up "robot clubs" at the local schools.

The "system" is based on Logo(r) components plus some sensors and some simple computer control. For some silly reason it's called "Nano Technology." In theory the kids pick up computer programming skills. They have to program their robot to follow a some black tape. The team that produces the fastest robot that properly complete the circuit WINS.

I am not involved with the local program. My older girl's school has a robot club but there were other activities going on at the same time. I looked into it to see if we could play around at home but as far as I can determine the "buy in" cost is at least $170.

EE is now at least 50% computer based.

If you want to have some computer projects but don't want to spend money look at creating a spread sheet application that will let the little darlings perform some "optimizations." Most schools have at least one PC per 10 kids and can give every kid in a class a computer for one period. WIntel machines come with FREE spreadsheet software.

Reply to
John Gilmer