External speaker wiring for iPod

I bought a bargain external speaker and mic for an iPOD. I wanted to play a tape recorder device direct into the speaker by plugging the
speaker + mic into the 3.5mm (1/8 inch) output of a tape recorder.
It wouldn't work even when changed some of the connections after I had checked the pinout for the four connectors on the 3.5mm plug and
When I opened up the external speaker + mic there was circuit board. What does the circuit board do?
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j31sue&s=4
And why does the speaker have four connections ???

I think you've described an amplified speaker powered by the ipod.
On 10/2/2009 10:46 AM Meat Plow spake thus:

Yep. That puppy's not gonna work without external power (5 volts, I'm guessing?).

What's a "tape recorder"?
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 15:26:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

http://tekniken.se/misc/revoxb77.jpg

Wouldn't those spools bind up when you put it in your pocket?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

A tape recorder is just like a wire recorder except it uses flimsy plastic tape instead of nice sturdy steel wire.
Another Bill on the newsgroup.

:)

Does the output on the tape recorder drive a set of headphones?
--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?