Link Power Budget Problem

Would anyone be able to assist me with this....homework problem?

"Consider a channel whose transmitter noise = its receiver noise =

1microWatt. In addition, let channel noise accumlate at 50nW/km. Ignore its attenuation. Let the signal's transmit power = 100mW and let the signal attenuate at -6dB/km. If we require the receiver's SNR=20dB, what is the maximum line length?"

I'm not quite sure how to solve this. I know the SNR is the ratio of the power of the signal at the receiver to the noise at the receiver. But how exactly do I incorporate the noise into this equation given that the units for noise are not in dB? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Vincent

Reply to
Vincent

Is it too late to withdraw from the course and get your tuition back?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

Ha ha ha....that's a good one. I wish!