Fix for halogen lamp socket?

From: snipped-for-privacy@dave-d.com (Dave=A0D)

The OP has already filed the contacts, they're probably beyond that now. I'd replace the socket and the bulb. Dave

Right, He scraped them clean but he Didn't Re-Tin or Resurface them, you can see the copper just begging to be resurfaced with some solder. {to much of an Old School Remedy for you ?} Roy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

I like the solder solution, but these contacts are beyond fixing, I think:

DaveC

A slightly less temporary but still temporary fix is to add some copper strands to the clean socket, between the pins and contacts. Hey, it works for the bases of 750w EHG bipin lamps ...

-Keith

Reply to
Keith Jewell

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:09:59 -0800, Keith Jewell wrote (in article ):

Soldered to the contact surface? Or just stuffed in?

Reply to
DaveC

Absolutely!

Go to your nearest electrical wholesaler/lighting store and get the spare parts. That lamp holder looks like a common garden variety (and is cheap) - AND pick up a new globe at the same time.

I think it would be the least hassle.

Cheers.

Reply to
Chris

You can go to any lighting electrical supply centre, and buy these sockets new. It is not safe to start messing with these. A new socket would be guaranteed to work properly, and safely.

Reply to
Jerry G.

well of course you can get them dirt cheap over here to from the Japs in canal street, or get lucky and even find one in someones trash that the transmr gave out.

Alternate Engineering ~ teeheehee

My sollution is more like: If it were the Last Bi-Pin Contact on Earth }:-) or you're Bumbed Out Broke not a dime this months budget, with lots of solder a good soldering gun & pencil and your Electric Bill paid up, what the heck..... I'd fix it frayed as it is., and buy one when i could.

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Try here. You may need the lamp code, but they probably have what you need.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Most early low voltage Bi-Pin sockets used phosphor bronze leaf springs, which quickly lost temper, and gave a miserable performance as a long lasting socket. Here in Australia you see very few of the old spring types left. You do see a lot of the socket that has grub screws to tighten on to the lamp pins, and more grub screws to tighten on to the high temperature pig-tails. IMHO, no other method comes even close to giving you a reliable long term connection. Accept no substitutes!

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Bailley

New socket installed. New lamp installed. Light once again!

I had no idea that these sockets were so standardized (well, the 2-pin configuration, yes, but not the outside dimensions, the screw holes center-to-center dimensions.

It was a breeze!

Thanks to all.

Reply to
DaveC

way to go.... I got two pairs of new shoes last week };-) i've got a lot of solder, and several bi-pin sockets stashed somewhere ;-)

what did it set you back $3.25 or $1.50.

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

Doesn't sound like much of high tech problem to me. It is a sorry-sack-of-sh_t so-called EET student who is so damned dumb he has to post to usenet about this drivel....

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

why some nospam noman son of sam would latch on like a lamprey to a post and insult someone eager to share & solve a related problem is benign to me.

why so afraid to address the sorry sack of shit of your mind properly. oh', is it your professional way of making a point?

As my Imperialist Jap friend would say in a case like this:

" =B5 R watt =B5 tinker ov udders "

From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Fred=A0Bloggs) DaveC wrote: New socket installed. New lamp installed. Light once again! I had no idea that these sockets were so standardized (well, the 2-pin configuration, yes, but not the outside dimensions, the screw holes center-to-center dimensions. It was a breeze! Thanks to all.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:22:16 -0800, Fred Bloggs wrote (in article ):

Don't know where you got that information... not a student at all.

Usenet is where questions are asked and information is shared. If you don't like it... delete or killfile. Your choice.

Reply to
DaveC

Okay- so there are two "DaveC" posting to this newsgroup- the other one is the whining flake then.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

EET = Egotistical Educated Technician.

Quote of the day. "I am never wrong, once i thought i was, but was mistaken"

Reply to
Jamie

the New Sockets

new for a longer period of time !

BTW I observed that "Chrysler" fills the cavities on some multi-pin Connectors with grease to improve the reliability of its Electronic Fuel-injection System ! I don't know if it is to keep out moisture from shorting out pins or for reducing contact resistance from oxidized contacts. I also found that some greases are conductive enough to short-out the "distributor breaker contacts" on Electronic Ignition systems, before "Hall-Effect" switches became standard.

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO

Ford has done this since at least the early 1960s...on every vehicle of theirs I've owned. Never seen it on the few GM and Daimler ("the Chrysler is silent") products...had to add silicone grease myself (plugs, headlight connectors, ignitiion wiring especially).

Reply to
webpa

Have you searched for a new socket?You might find one and cheaply, too, these halogen lamps are very common.If it's an expensive and nice lamp, it's worth asking the professional advice of an electrician.

-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering, freelance electrician FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr ? "DaveC" ?????? ??? ?????? news: snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net...

Reply to
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis