voltage convertor

I have a 110V power supply with output of 5V / 2.5A. I need a 240V supply and the closest I can get is 4.5V or 6V output and 3A. Will this do the job without damaging the equipment or do I need an exact match? Cheers. Luap

Reply to
Luap

Depends on the nature of the load and possibly also on the regulation of the voltage convertors.

An unregulated supply with a nominal rating can have a considerably higher voltage off load or even on a partial load.

Even an apparent exact match can be inappropriate for some loads if it is unregulated and the original is regulated.

OTOH, for many types of load, 4.5 volts or even 6 volts may be ok instead of a 5 volt supply.

So, please come back with more details - such as what the load is, whether the old and potential convertors are ac - ac or ac - dc, whether they are regulated or unregulated, etc.

Even if you can't get an exact match: Several possibilities exist, such as adding some power rectifiers in series with the 6v supply to drop it to about

5 volt - for dc. You can, of course, use a 240 - 110 autotransformer and keep the original convertor.
Reply to
Palindr☻me

It's for a D-Link router if that helps. I'm thinking what you call an autotrabsformer will be my safest bet. L

Reply to
Luap

VOD 100 for $9.99 It's good for 100 watts - it will easily handle what you need. It will step the 240 volts down to 120 volts. Plug your existing power supply into the transformer.

Reply to
ehsjr