Phase convertor question

Hi Guys,

I have a 7 1/2 hp rotary phase convertor that I don't need. An aquaintence has a battery charger for his fork lifts that require three phase power to operate. The charger has settings for various incoming voltages one of which matches my phase convertor's output, the output of the battery charger is 36V.

Will these two pieces of equipment work together? Or do I need more info and if so what? Thanks!

Kent

Reply to
K Frazier

I would not expect a problem. Most battery chargers are really just huge transformers. Some of the newer ones are more like switching power supplies, so they might be pickier about power.

The other key issue is current, the converter needs to have more than enough power output for the charger. What are the motor amps compared to the charger amps at the given voltage?

Let's let the electron jocks have their say.

Richard

K Frazier wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

"Richard Ferguson" wrote

That was the question that I didn't know how to ask. Thanks for distilling the topic! Regards,

Kent

Reply to
Kent Frazier

The battery charger only requires 3phase to reach rated current, which it derives 1/3 of from each phase. How well it works with your converter will depend upon how well the line current out of your converter are balanced.

7.5 HP is 155 amps at 36 volts (skipping losses); how does that compare with the rating of the charger?
Reply to
Don Foreman