Glow lights for cars

I just bought my niece a new car and she tells me that she is going to have glow lights installed. I am thrilled. NOT!

How are these installed? I am pretty sure they will have to cut into the headlight wiring harness.

Anyone know what they do to mount them? Can the mount them without tapping into the car?

Reply to
Kilowatt

Buy me a new car and I'll let you know.

Reply to
operator jay

I could e some wheels too.

make sure the Glow Lights are legal in your state or she'll get stopped alot by the c.o.p.s if they aren't you can put a switch on them and use them when you cross the state or jurisdictional line };-)

where do you want them installed ?

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

I don't want them installed at all. I am sure she wants them underneath the car to shine on the road.

I can just imagine how they would either tie them into the headlights or God knows what they would have to do to put a switch in the car.

Is there a way to bring a switch into the car without drilling holes? Ack I shudder to think how some jack leg engineer would cut into the car.

Reply to
Kilowatt

If you don't mind them being on all the time that the engine=20 is running - don't bother with a switch but just use a=20 voltage comparator on the supply voltage.

Or use a detector/voltaage comparator across one of the=20 loudspeakers in the boot to switch them on when the=20 radio/hifi is on.

Or you could use a little logic circuit and detect when an=20 unusual sequence of switches are operated, together with a=20 timer ( say rear screen heater followed by headlight flash 2=20 seconds later).

Or you could find that your wiring loom has some spare wires=20 anyhow - used in a different option pack.

But, IMHO, most cars have spaces on the dash/instrument pod=20 for switches not fitted on that particular model and those=20 switches are available as spare parts - so the work can be=20 done without drilling holes and with the end result looking=20 professional rather than Heath Robinson...

ISTM, having to drill a hole is pretty unusual - unless you=20 are taking wires to where no wires have gone before.

--=20

Sue

Reply to
Palindr☻me

You can usually find an existing gromet that has enough room to fit an extra wire (if your lucky the car will have spare gromets from older production version of the vehicle). Sometimes the gromets can be difficult to reach. But it's usually easier to snake your hand through the engine compartment than trying to drill a new hole.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

From: snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Kilowatt) On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 02:16:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Roy Q.T.) wrote: I could me some wheels too. make sure the Glow Lights are legal in your state or she'll get stopped by the c.o.p.s if they aren't you can put a switch on them and use them when you cross the state or jurisdictional line };-) where do you want them installed ? =AEoy I don't want them installed at all. I am sure she wants them underneath the car to shine on the road. I can just imagine how they would either tie them into the headlights or God knows what they would have to do to put a switch in the car. Is there a way to bring a switch into the car without drilling holes? Ack I shudder to think how some jack leg engineer would cut into the car.

~~

well your fears are not unfounded., It's not me installing them };-{) but there are guys dedicated to tricking up autos that are very serious expert tech, as myself..(oops did i say that };-)

I wouldn't want just anyone ripping through the bottom of my nieces new car with with a power screwdriver & self tap screws for cable clamps to attach the pretty little lights she wants under it };-)

If they were Fog Lights you could attach them to your High Beams contacts, but not necessarily.

Those innocuous little sparkling/neon cable lights are best fed from a cable attached to the fuse block ~ to a nifty dash board mounted, girly looking, simple operation, rated switch. the motor compartment usually has a way through for wires..... so don't expect any major damage to the neicemobile.

=AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.