Heat Transfer

Hello All,

I have spent many hours on the internet, looking for a specific topic. I am looking for some literature on adverse effects of high temperature on electronics performance, failures caused by overheating electronics, anything along those lines.

Thanks!

Reply to
uraniumore235

If the temperature is high enough, the solder will melt. Go read a book.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush--less than 18 months to go.

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Try searching for 'thermal runaway'. Many semiconductors will have a lower resistance as temperature rises. This results in more current, more heating, higher temperature, lower resistance...ad infinitum.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

I've recently had a lecture which discussed the effect of temperature on the life expectancy of semiconductors. For many (all?) semiconductors the life expectancy halves for every 10 degrees celcius you increase the operating temperature. This is very significant (do a few basic calculations for yourself, starting with say ambient temperature giving

20 years of life) and goes to show how important heat s>
Reply to
slacker

Life expectancy halves for every 10 degrees C temp increase applies in many cases, like insulation (wire, transformers). IIRC chemical reactions, in general, occur twice as fast for each 10 degree C increase.

-- bud--

Reply to
bud--