Help please

Hi This may be a little OT for this group but would rather ask my Q here and get correct advice.
I go caravaning and have in the past always used 12volt
batteries for running lights,tv,etc kept charged with a 80 watt solar panel.
I know that my 10 inch colour tv @38 watts uses a tad over 3amps when run on 12 volt batteries.I am now going to go on hook-up (mains) for the first time and wish to know if I still work out the amps or part of in the same way for the tv as I would when on 12 volt ie 38 watt divided 12v =3.16 amp.
Would I be correct in dividing the 38 watts by 240volt which gives 0.158 of a amp??? does not seem right to me but ???? please. Many thanks Baz
Baz wrote:

In general, you are absolutely correct. It will probably be a little higher than that due to the converter which takes 240v down to the voltages needed by the TV electronics.
--
Sue

On 10/1/06 3:41 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com,

Unfortunately, some converters can be extremely inefficient. For example, I have a cordless phone that uses a 3.6 V NiCd battery. Because it seemed to run warm, I checked the voltage. It was 15.5 V open circuit at the terminals used for charging. Even taking into account that a digital meter might look at peaks of rectified pulses etc, it still seems like a low efficientcy.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush

Hi Bill Thanks for your comments and time. Baz

Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.