Here's a quicky...

What is the official orientation of the grounded outlet? Ground receptacle up or down? I ask this, because right angle air conditioning cords ground pins can be either way.

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

There is no standard. I have seen compelling arguments for both ways, or even sideways.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Depends on the regulations in force where you live.

In parts of Europe it's UP In New Zealand and Australia, it's DOWN. In Canada and USA, I have no idea. Have a look at your NEC.

Reply to
Miles

I've seen this argued several ways. Everything from the plug 'hanging down' as it falls out of the outlet so the ground pin should be on the bottom to be the last contact broken; to the pin should be on top so any metal object falling down along the wall will contact the pin on top and not short hot-neutral (like we have falling metal along the wall every day ;-)

But in my opinion, the ground pin down. And here is *my* take on it. Many cords for refrigerators, and washing machines and the like, are 'flat' with the cord coming out from the 'side' of the plug. The side with the ground pin. So if you install the outlet with the ground pin down, the cord hangs down from the plug in a nice, clean manner. If you install with the pin up, the cord comes up out of the plug and makes a sharp 180 bend to hang down. Just 'feels' like too much stress on the cord in such a tight bend. (especially since these are higher than average current loads).

Why don't some plugs come with the cord extending out the side opposite the ground pin? Maybe there's a standard for *that*?? If so, then orientation of the 'socket' should match (IMHO).

But this is just one man's opinion.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

That's the answer I gave a friend. Hoping I was right. :-)

Reply to
Dave M.

... and I've seen flat plug air conditioner extension cords each of which had ground pin orientations opposite that of the other make. So, deductive reasoning would tell me, there is probably not a standard. But I just thought I'd ask!

Dave M.

orientation

Reply to
Dave M.

I wonder if that's because Europe is north of the equator and Austrailia is south of the equator? ;-D

Reply to
Dave M.

Here's the answers: :-) --------- --------- | 0 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 0 | | | | | | . | | . | | | | | | | | | | 0 | | | | | | 0 | | | | | --------- ---------

You can use either of the above receptacles to avoid that question. :=)

Reply to
ehsjr

Jeez, Tom. Now don't be giving the AHJ in my area any ideas! ;-)

Reply to
Nukie Poo

^^^ This one will allow two wall warts on one duplex receptacle. Most polarized units (that I've seen in the USA) have the neutral to the left (which corresponds to ground down).

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

There is no official standard. There is, however, a school of thought that says the ground pin (for vertical orientation) or the wide blade (for horizontal orientation) should be up. The theory is that if a loose metal cover plate drops down against exposed pins, it will contact the grounded or grounding conductor rather than a hot one. Some cordsets and plug-in devices don't allow for this, however.

Ben Miller

Reply to
Ben Miller

2 wall warts in either one :-) Wall warts don't have ground pins.
Reply to
ehsjr

Unless they're polarized wall warts.

Reply to
BG

This always gets to me. Like homes have falling metal plates everywhere. When's the last time you had a falling metal plate anywhere? Unless one is trying to remove the cover plate (in which case, the cords would be unplugged first). I think this 'theory' is about as sound as the 'put ground pin on bottom so it breaks contact last when you step on the plug forcing it out of the wall' theory. (like people go around and try and use plugs as step-stools and wrench plugs out of walls with their feet). Either one is pretty far-fetched.

If the maintanence is so shoddy that cover plates are falling off outlet boxes, then orientation of plugs is the least of your troubles.

I simply prefer whatever orientation puts the least stress on cords. If there is no preferred, then it doesn't matter. But some cord/plugs do have an obvious preferential orientation.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

I'll believe that when I see one.

Reply to
ehsjr

Good point! I don't have any polarized wall warts, but do have an old one with three prongs. It says "Microcom" on it and is made to hang naturally with the ground pin down.

Reply to
BG

Well, every building at my employer (Fortune single-digit) I've worked in has had ground-pin up (and all residences GPD). As has been said here, there seems to be good reasons for both.

What about metal partitions? How about rooms with much metal sheeting, metal furniture, etc.? Doesn't it make sense to expose the ground pin, rather than the hot?

I'd agree, GPD seems to be the fav for residential wiring. I prefer that all outlets in a house be wired the same, since it makes crawling around in the dark looking for a plug-outlet mate somewhat less iffy.

Then again, sometimes in the dark... ...well, I still want to know if they're bottoms up or down! ;-)

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

--------- but then you are only concerned with a single pin .

-- Don Kelly snipped-for-privacy@peeshaw.ca remove the urine to answer

Reply to
Don Kelly

Well, there is still a polarity (if not spin) to be concerned with.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

[snip]

I just took a survey of my office. 3 polarized, 3 not and one three prong.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.