How does someone get into the power industry?

I'd like to work at a place like BPA. Next to impossible to get into the industry. I have a EE and strong electronics background. I even took the power option my senior year. Any suggestions from EEs working in the industry about what to do, great books to get or anything else. Tell you the truth the only thing that really stuck from the power classes was some per unit stuff. I'm putting my name in for apprentice electrician at a local union and reading a PLC programming book and the NEC.

Reply to
private

bpa.gov? Times is hard, but you'd think a 4yr EE degree would qualify you for something above packing tools.

--s falke

Reply to
s falke

No real trick other than finding a utility that is hiring. Now THAT is tough. I see ads from time to time but they are for experienced people. Same goes for the consulting companies in the business; they want experienced people.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

You are the right track. You will make it.

Reply to
Gerald Newton

[snip]

BPA recently increased the voltage on one of our local transmission lines (from 230 to 500 kV, I think). In response to complaints from the local residents about the increase in corona discharge noise, a BPA representative told the local news media that, 'they were just burning the dust off the lines and the noise would go away soon.'

Maybe you can get a job in charge of coming up with some real zingers like that for future news releases. ;-)

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.