final year project

I am an EE student going to my fourth year and my project will be starting in fall, I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas to have a good project. I am willing to work in Power engineering or control systems.

regards V.V

Reply to
vandra

Look up Steinmetz's monocyclic circuits. Figure out what you can do with it using technology not available during his lifetime. Design and make a transformer to help cut losses for high step-up ratios. See if you can design the transformer to incorporate leakage reactance into the design. Promise to let us know what you do.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

I don't know the extent expected of you with regard to new material. One topic of interest may be a review of the ground "resistances" as calculated by Dwight, Rudenberg and others and their relationship to capacitance calculations as well as the differences and reasons for the differences. There is IEEE material on layered ground resistivity as well. A general critique of the various calculations with their assumptions might be of interest.

Reply to
Don Kelly

Well, my ultrasonic radar project was my fourth year project, perhaps it can give you an idea of scope in the least:

TTYL

Reply to
repatch

i think it would be best to ask the instructor who will be evaluating you project for 2 or 3 suggestions to pick from. you may be hurting yourself if you pick a subject the instructor knows or cares little about.

Reply to
TimPerry

Build a 6V 10A isolated power supply up to about 20kV isolation, with very good regulation. Simple idea, you can learn alot from it. Simple power conversion. Very good for microwave communication heater supplies. Just 6V 10A with 20kV isolation, 100mV ripple. Your advisor will love it if he is in power. Then, you can apply send me your resume after you complete it. Power and Control. High power conversion for your interest in power. And you can even build electronics load with IGBT or MOSFETs to show how good your power stage response is. There goes your interest in Control Theory.

If you live in or around San Francisco, I will help you. Alex.

Reply to
sumyat
6V, 10A or 60 watts?? 20Kv isolation?? However, while the problem is interesting, and I will not pretend to be able to deal with it; it is "light current", not "high power", nor even "power electronics". Generally "Power Engineering" (as usually considered) involves Kw to Gw at voltages up to 1000 Kv . Look at HVDC converters for an example- where control of SCR's, connected in series, each rated at ,say 2KA, (>2)KV -and isolation, of necessity, to the order of 400- 500 Kv is a normal situation. Electronic control of motors in the Kw to Mw range is also a routine problem.
Reply to
Don Kelly

Don, I advised for a simple senior project: "Isolated DC Supply." I felt like you are arguing what's power electronics and what's not. What is light power and what's high power? From what I understand, you were suggesting Electronic control of motors in Kw to Mw range.

you got to teach the student how to handle high voltage with respect first. Then show him what's the 100X and ask him to test up to 4kV. Then give him 1000X and test out the hight voltage above 4kV. Then 10,000x probe or whatever to test 400kV situati> 6V, 10A or 60 watts?? 20Kv isolation?? However, while the problem is

Reply to
sumyat

How about designing a single programmable electronic key to replace most conventional keys. For instance, many of us carry many keys to various locks. What is needed is a prgrammable key/lock combination that can replace the existing keys and locks. There are such keys availabel for one lock, but none that can be used to replace existing keys and locks.

Reply to
electrician

How about designing a single programmable electronic key to replace most conventional keys. For instance, many of us carry many keys to various locks. What is needed is a prgrammable key/lock combination that can replace the existing keys and locks. There are such keys available for one lock, but none that can be used to replace existing keys and locks.

Reply to
electrician

Sorry that I seemed huffy and I am not trying to belittle your suggestion- I would not be ready to take it on. If I have offended you, and I did come on too strong, I apologise. I also realise the level of the project.

However, by "Power" the expected project may not have anything at all to do with electronics. It could be analytical and may very well be such of necessity due to the problems that you point out- or possibly something done in a machines lab where Kw range motors should exist (typically

3-10KW). Many schools do have courses and projects in power electronics, using such machines. If there is control involved, then there will likely be electronics involved but dealing with control methods and schemes rather than power supplies. I don't expect a student to design and build a power line but one could design the insulation requirements of a transmission line. or the optimisation of a distribution feeder considering loads and their location and possible capacitive compensation. Much of it is, of necessity, computer modelling.
Reply to
Don Kelly