How much grounding do you need?

Hello,

I hope some one can give me a good answer to this. If you ground the equipment rack and all the equipment is properly fastened to the the rack, will that provide enough protection or should you ground each piece of equipment too?

The company I work for is currently thinking about grounding each piece of communication equipment with 6 AWG wire even though the rack is already properly grounded. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David Gunther

More grounding is usually better ... BUT ... be sure your grounding radiates from a single point and doesn't loop back. When you have created a ground connection be sure any additional grounding does not parallel that path. If something is grounded by the rack frame don't run another ground from that equipment back to the grounding point. Make sure your signal grounds are only tied to a single point (don't ground both ends of a signal shield)

Reply to
Gfretwell

I used to work with an MT BELL engineer. He said that more diameter is not as good as more surface area when it comes to high frequencies. Think about using these

making your own with welding cable. He showed me time and time again that a 4 inch by 1/4 plate around a room did better than all the ground cables we had been installing. We even installed a bunch of 8 inch wide copper foil in one server room. I do assume that this is for equal potential and not for the circuit. Right.

I always run a ground wire, metal conduit and then braided straps. Have not had any problems yet. More is better the faster you go or the smaller your trying to measure. IMO

Reply to
SQLit

Agreed, multiple ground paths are best. Certain length conductors act as open circuits for very high frequency signals. In this respect, the chassis ground is the better ground, as long as the joints in the chassis are electrically conductive.

Reply to
jim