I NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP!

When my water heater kicks "ON" some (if not all) of my electrical outlets serge to (136-139 volts) When I throw the hot water braker to
"OFF" the outlets resume (109-111 volts) I just replaced the (hot water heater) heating element two days ago because of problems. Things are better but my lights keep going from bright (136-139 volts) to dim (109-111 volts) as often as hot water heater kicks on and off. Tonight the lights were on bright (136-139 volts) I assume the hot water heater was on and I turned on a french fryer (like a crock pot) and the lights went down to dim (109-111volts) I turned on the french fryer several times and the lights went from high to low everytime. When the hot water heater braker is "OFF" the outlets are on (109-111 volts) and turning on the french fryer has no effect on the lights, and the outlets stay on (109-111 volts) Does anybody have a clue? or where I can get some information I need! Thank You -William (from Carolina Beach NC)

What voltage is your water heater supposed to operate on? It would be unusual to be 120 volts, but if it is I would suspect a loose or open neutral.
The hot water heater is small and it is 110 volts.
William Hufham wrote:

You have a bad neutral connection. You need an electriciain to find and repair the problem. At best this will cause failure of appliances and lights. At worst it can be a fire hazard.
--
Benjamin D Miller, PE
www.bmillerengineering.com
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (William Hufham) wrote:

That is unusual these days. Most equipment would be designed to run at 117 VAC. Most power companies would try to deliver at 120 VAC. Is your 110V a traditional value? What does it actually say on your heater's nameplate.
I tend to go along with previous replies indicating yhaty you are having neutral problems.
Bill
Hi Bill.... Thank you for your response to my problem. You are right, the element is 1500 watts and 120 V I am such a novice, I didn't even know that. I'm sure to annoy someone soon..haha I'm trying to find out things for myself. I do have a question. I just bought a GREENLEE "Cat ll" Digital Multimeter from Lowe's. When checking an outlet, I set the multimeter on "200" to get a reading. However, my outlets seem abnormal so I'll just ask. How many volts should a multimeter read if the outlet is normal. Can the volts vary and still be normal. If so, how much. I hope this gets through. My personal web address is: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net Don't forget the dash! Please respond. Thank You -William (from Carolina Beach NC)
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (William Hufham) wrote:

I am not certain that you are responding to me.
Set your meter to the 200V ac scale. Remember that the meter can have its own error. It is possible that bad loads (those producing harmonics) can distort the waveform and add to the error. I would expect you would read about 120V. If it drops to 118 or goes to 122. It would be OK If it drops below 115V, there probably is something wrong.
If your service is what is called an Edison system, you should have 240V available somewhere. If you measure that voltage when your heater is connected, and it does not drop by much (less than 1V) while voltage on your line to the heater drops by 5V, that would be a good indication of neutral problems.
If you notice that some lights brighten when your heater connects, that is another sign of neutral problems. Measure the voltage supplied to such lights.
Bill
Don't forget the dash! Please respond. Thank

And also an indication that you should set your meter higher than 200 volts.
Well you guys were right. After many trials and errors. I finally found a loose neutral connection. I cleaned the wire and screwed it down tight.... Every circuit went back to normal. Thanks to you guys I saved some big bucks by not having to hire an electrician. Thank You very much. Again, Thank You -William (from Carolina Beach NC)
On Feb 21, 8:57pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (William Hufham) wrote:

It appears your neutral is open. This can cause a fire by applying too high a voltage to loads. Immediately, turn off your power and hire a qualified electrician or electrical contractor to come and troubleshoot your system.