Hot Tub Trips Breaker

1. When I started the heater and low power jets and filter it draws about 24.5-25 amps off of a 30 amp 240 breaker set up. After about 3 to 5 minutes breaker trips one
side of 30 amp breaker.
2 As yesterday I went to add extra tablets to the floater in the water got a shock from surface water so what I did was go inside and flip on one side the 30 amp breaker at a time.
3, What I got was the side of the breaker that kept tripping when switched on had no voltage across surface water. Then I turned that breaker off and turned on the other breaker that does not trip and a surface voltage of about 20 volts is what I got when tested to Ground.
The question is this breaker defective and need replacing/ I tend to think so. P.S. I have used this hot tub several times with no surface voltage.

Electricity + water = Time to call a professional
John
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:45:46 GMT, "Natalie Bounds"

I have seen that caused by a failed heater element. Your breaker is probably tripping on the ground fault not overcurrent. The bad element looked bad once I got it out. The tube was corroded and water was getting to the nichrome wire inside. These are basically like a water heater element and usually just screw into the heater vessel. I am not sure if there is a real difference so you should get the one specified by the heater manufacturer if you replace it.

The circuit breaker must be replaced anyway, since it violates code by not having both poles ganged together. It sounds more like two single pole CB's, one of which may be a GFCI type, instead of a two-pole GFCI device.
Mike
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 21:52:01 GMT, "Mike Lamond"

Breaker trips on my Hot Tub... ego, MUST BE A FAULTY BREAKER!!!!!
Small wager: This guy will end up nominated for a Darwin Award next year!