Hot Tub Trips Breaker

1. When I started the heater and low power jets and filter it draws about
24.5-25 amps off
of a 30 amp 240 breaker set up. After about 3 to 5 minutes breaker trips one
side of 30 amp breaker.
2 As yesterday I went to add extra tablets to the floater in the water got a
shock from surface water
so what I did was go inside and flip on one side the 30 amp breaker at a
time.
3, What I got was the side of the breaker that kept tripping when switched
on had no voltage across
surface water. Then I turned that breaker off and turned on the other
breaker that does not trip and
a surface voltage of about 20 volts is what I got when tested to Ground.
The question is this breaker defective and need replacing/ I tend to think
so.
P.S. I have used this hot tub several times with no surface voltage.
Reply to
Natalie Bounds
Electricity + water = Time to call a professional
John
Reply to
John Nice
I have seen that caused by a failed heater element. Your breaker is probably tripping on the ground fault not overcurrent. The bad element looked bad once I got it out. The tube was corroded and water was getting to the nichrome wire inside. These are basically like a water heater element and usually just screw into the heater vessel. I am not sure if there is a real difference so you should get the one specified by the heater manufacturer if you replace it.
Reply to
gfretwell
The circuit breaker must be replaced anyway, since it violates code by not having both poles ganged together. It sounds more like two single pole CB's, one of which may be a GFCI type, instead of a two-pole GFCI device.
Mike
Reply to
Mike Lamond
Breaker trips on my Hot Tub... ego, MUST BE A FAULTY BREAKER!!!!!
Small wager: This guy will end up nominated for a Darwin Award next year!
Reply to
Bob Ferapples