Is Edison responsible for power loss in house?

Last week we lost all power in the house. When the power was restored, we had only partial power. I called Edison to report it. They said several thousand customers had a power outage. They asked me to turn off all the breakers for two minutes, then turn them back on and i should have all power, but we had only partial power. Edisom came out and checked all the circuits and GFCIs and all were fine. When i mentioned the outage, he said my problem didn't have anything to do with the outage., that i should call an electrician. I'm wondering if he said this to not make Edison responsible.Could the partial power loss have been caused by Edison? If so, how would i prove it?

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I assume you mean, some CIRCUITS work and some don't.

If thats the case then Edison gave you the right information in resetting the breakers. Did you reset the MASTER breaker in your panel also.

Edison, I would think, verified that you had both phases at the breaker panel

Sounds like you may have lost one of the two feeds coming into your location. Is it all the breakers on one side of the panel that have no power?

If thats the case have an electrician verify the incoming power feeds to your panel, then check the master breaker.

I going a long way here on assumptions. And if your not familiar with AC power, DON'T, remove the breaker panel cover, it could be deadly!!!

Reply to
Nirodac

That is not how the busses are arranged. It is every other slot so a 2 pole breaker will pick up both phases.

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, that's correct, sorry my bad, I new that, mind fart I guess.

Sooo, my post should have read, is it every second breaker (circuit)on BOTH sides of the panel, that seem dead.

I should also have added, If you turn your cloths dryer (High heat setting) or electric stove ON, do some of the circuits seem to have partial power. If so, then you've lost one phase, either from the utility company, or one of your two master breakers.

Reply to
Nirodac

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

No No, you miss understood what I was saying.

If you turn on your dryer, the heater element (electric dryer that is) will be placed across your two phases of power (240 volts). If one phase is missing, the current from the one remaining phase will feed back, through the heater element, and try and power the circuits on the other phase, which are NOT powered from the missing phase. Lights should glow dimly. Don't try any motor powered devices as this could damage the motor.

However am I right in guessing, you are implying, your stove and dryer are working, if so, you must have both phases.

It would be really odd for more than one breaker to fail at a time. Is it every second breaker/circuit that has failed.

Reply to
Nirodac

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the follow-up, always nice to know the final outcome.

Reply to
Nirodac