GFI stop working after power out

My GFI outlet in the bathroom won't work after a power outage. After I got power back....(outside loss of power issue caused one leg of power to go to low voltage)...I reset the GFI button and the bathroom mirror lights quickly flicked but then no power at all. I checked the circuit breakers in the cellar and all seem fine. Did I somehow blow the GFI when I lost power and reset it? Or is something else going on? Is it easy to replace the GFI switch with all power turned off? Any info appreciated.

Reply to
snow

no: most likely it was damaged by a 'surge' when the power failed.

some sort of fault in the light fixture is possible in which case a new GFI will behave the same.

usually it is no harder than changing a wall outlet... it just costs a bit more for the part

Reply to
TimPerry

Have you tested the circuit?

Just how would you think a news group would help with this question.

Replace the GFCI and see if that fixes it.

Reply to
SQLit

As long as, by "all power turned off" you mean the ckt breaker that feeds the GFCI, yes, it's fairly "safe" to do but ... if you don't know how to tell if wires are energized or not, I think you'd better refer it to someone who does know. There is likely a wire that will remain hot in the GFCI box until you open the ckt breaker, so ... you can't just dig into the box where it's located safely.

HTH,

Pop

Reply to
Pop

: : Have you tested the circuit?

Have YOU read the post? : : Just how would you think a news group would help with this question.

Probably "just like" most others asking Q's about GFCI's. Having a bad night? : : Replace the GFCI and see if that fixes it. : :

Reply to
Pop

Sounds like at least your bathroom mirror lights are part of the LOAD connected to the GFI. Remove all LOAD from the GFI and try resetting it. Then reconnect (or turn on) some load and see what happens. If it still won't work when you turn off all the load, pull the GFI out of the box and DISCONNECT the LOAD wires; then try resetting it again. If it still doesn't work, then it must be a defective GFI.

Did your power go out during a lightning storm? Or did you have a flood in your bathroom? Those might cause a problem somewhere. However, the GFIs I have taken apart did not have and "electronics" that I can remember, except maybe for a resistor in the test circuit.

Have fun and tell us what you f> My GFI outlet in the bathroom won't work after a power outage. After

Reply to
Phil Munro

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:36:01 -0500, Phil Munro Gave us:

For what my time costs.. I just bought a new GFCI outlet, and replaced it. That way, if it was/is a piece of gear, it will raise its ugly head again. I didn't have time to go through each load device on my bench (where my problem occurred) and diagnose each piece. It turned out that the outlet WAS at fault . Had it not been, I would merely have a $12 replacement around for future use. I am glad I chose this route as checking all those instruments individually would have been a pain. My time is worth more than that.

I say, the outlet is trashed. When replacing it, make sure the fault line is attached well.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs