I had some ... uh ... learning experiences today whilst welding 1/4" aluminum rod to make an "expander cage" for my livewell. Some years ago I made an oval aluminum ring, covered with vinyl tubing, to which was sewn a Wal-Mart polyethylene mesh laundry bag -- green to match the boat. This was so I could keep minnows in the small livewell and not have to chase the little devils at end of day. Just lift out the laundry bag to remove all minnows. Missed minnows stink a whole bunch after a few days!
Some of the gas welds turned out gorgeous, but I learned that there's no such thing as a "local puddle" in 1/4" rod when gas welding. SPROING. Oh, golly! I was able to recover with TIG and a jig; not pretty, but servicable. Lesson learned: use a jig when welding1/4" al rod so it'll stay put when hot short.
Then I went to grind off the boogers.
Grinder seemed slow. Pressure gage said 40 PSI. The compressor is down. Oh golly again.
I'm an engineer, I know how to solve problems, right? I got out my voltmeter and methodically chased thru the power path. Socket's hot, check. Pull cover off of compressor pressure switch. Motor terminals hot, check. Pull plate off of motor. Motor terminals hot. Conclusion: motor shit the bed. Oh well, that motor's a good 20 years old.
Found a suitable 5HP NEMA 56 frame motor on the HF website. Checked Grainger to see how much more they want for a Dayton motor. (double)
I noted that the Grainger motor had manual thermal reset.
Manual ......thermal......reset. Kuh - - - - lick. I went back to my compressor and pushed the little red button. Vroom, budabudabuda.... Houston we have air! DUH!
It was a hot day today and I'd been doing some gritblasting, didn't notice that it'd quit running before reaching 175 PSI in the tank. It's been so long since that thermal switch has tripped that I'd plumb forgotten it was there.
Warm puppies are good, but there's also a lot to be said for not needing a new motor after all....