is roommate right about the cost of turning heat (gas) on briefly in the morning?

Maybe, maybe not but they are considerably noiser and bulkier.

Reply to
Stuart

So what? Hot water systems are still fed by a STEAM boiler.

Irrelevant.

The efficiency of the boiler has nothing to do with the efficiency of the distribution system.

A single radiating source in a room heats the air that happens to convect near it. A ducted hot air heating system adds heated air to a room, which is much more efficient.

The cost of operation of a forced air heating system is well known to be far less than that of a hot water based system. Particularly if said hot water system uses 70 year old radiator technology. There are hot water systems in use that use much more efficient radiator elements that span a baseboard, etc.

The point is that a single radiator in a room uses a small amount of IR energy to heat the air that is in close proximity to the radiator. A forced air system uses a HUGE amount of IR energy to heat the air passing over a heat exchanger, which then gets pumped into the rooms already heated.

It is well known that the forced air systems are more efficient at this task.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

By definition, to me, you are strange. The USA is strange.

"Of, relating to, or characteristic of another place or part of the world; foreign."

It wasn't intended to infer inferiority or superiority - just difference. American English is not the same as British English.

To misuse a quotation, "In the strange world of English, skating on thin ice can easily get you into hot water*.."

*But let's not get steamed up about it..
Reply to
Palindrome

Look, Chucko... If the term BOILER is used, then the term STEAM applies.

If it is merely a HOT WATER system, then the device is NOT a boiler!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

No, he's wrong, assuming that heat is wanted. Of course it's cheaper to freeze. In almost all cases, it's more efficient (I.e. cheaper) to let the building cool when there is no need for heat. Any "surge" in heat is more than compensated by the lower heat loss during the "down" time. Heet lost (thus needed) is proportional to the difference in temperature so keeping the inside temperature low when the area is not in use will save energy and money. OTOH, some heat sources don't take kindly to being shut down (electric and radiant hydronic, in particular) and will take "forever" to recover, though. These heat sources should be set and left. This isn't a matter of efficiency, rather practicality.

It's the same in much of the US. I have (had) "hydronic" systems, both oil and gas fired, as you describe and grew up with gas-fired forced-air. We have had electric baseboard as well. I think I prefer forced-air, but hydronic is fine too. Electic baseboard would be ideal if electricity weren't so expensive.

Both are used in the US. "Hydronic" systems seem to be more common in the North and forced-air more common in moderate climes.

In all the systems I've seen the "boiler" is left operating, so there is no mass of water than needs to come up to temperature, though it must be kept at temperature when the heating system is not in use. This generally isn't a problem since there is a need for background heat anyway (it also keeps the boiler from rusting). Perhaps this is why hyronic systems are seen mainly in the Northern climes. My "boiler" also heats domestic water, so it runs all year.

The heat from the cooling water doesn't really go to waste in the heating season. It's still heating the building.

No, you forgot that Dimbulb is a pedantic moron. ...and AlwaysWrong.

Don't apologize to Dimbulb. It'll swell his puny head to the popping point.

Reply to
krw

Oh... I don't know... banging your brains out in a centuries old stone mansion master bedroom sounds like a fun manner of getting steamed up. ;-] Whether it is cold out or not... Do you smoke after sex... or is it steam?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

No, we didn't, Dimmie. Steam systems are still around, particularly in commercial systems. Hot water systems are *quite* common and are still being installed.

How in hell do you manage to be AlwaysWrong, Dimbulb? There isn't any steam in a hydronic system. They run at about 180F @14PSI. There had better not be any steam in there.

No, it isn't. There is no steam at 140F (actually 180F), Dimbulb.

High efficiency is the reason they're still in use, Dimmie. Even non-condensing units are ~85% efficient.

No, Dimmie it isn't. ...any more than your 100W light bulb that doesn't put out as much heat as a 100W heater.

Wrong again, Dimbulb. How _do_ you manage it?

Six one, half dozen of the other. The heat isn't going anywhere, except into the room.

No, Dimbulb, that isn't "known".

Reply to
krw

Wrong again, Dimbulb.

The furnace in a hydronic system is called a "boiler", Dimmie, just like the thing that convects heat is called a "radiator".

Reply to
krw

You're a goddamned retard. Evidenced by your assertion that "the north" uses water more than forced air.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Water based cooling systems, yes. Boiler operated systems... hardly.

What is "quite common" is your inane need to follow around behind my posts like a little retard. You are as bad as the RoyTard. Sad part is that you actually have SOME brains.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

If there is no steam, then it is NOT a boiler, idiot.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

If no steam is being produced, then the device in question is NOT a boiler.

In your hot water systems, the device is called a hydronic boiler. THAT is NOT a boiler.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

'Tis a fact, Dimbulb.

Reply to
krw

1) Steam boilers are still used in many large installations. 2) Hydronic furnaces are still called "boilers", even though they don't boil anything.

They only reason for anyone to follow you around is to clean up the shit you spew, Dimbulb.

Reply to
krw

Tell that to the companies that make them.

Reply to
krw

The pedantic Dimbulb is at it again, folks. It is *called* a "boiler", even though it produces no steam, Dimmie. What would you call it, a dim bulb, Dimbulb?

^^^^^^

You can't even agree with yourself, AlwaysWrong. You must be a real piece of work to live around.

Reply to
krw

No shit. Not nearly as often for building heating functions, however. More often used in modern times for hot water for kitchens, showers, etc.

No. They are called hydronic boilers. They are not called boilers at all. They are not called hydronic furnaces either. That is the term for the entire system.

Except that it is you that is full of shit, boy.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

They make HYDRONIC BOILERS, and that is what they call them. They do NOT make boilers, and then put them into a hydronic furnace. They are two different animals. Just like you... not human.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

What part of "'boiler' is one word, and 'hydronic boiler' is TWO WORDS" do you not understand, you retarded f*ck?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Wrong, as usual, Dimbulb.

Or "boilers" for short. Wrong again, AlwaysWrong.

That's three strikes, Dimmie.

Reply to
krw