Is there an electrical device to split the workload between two plug outlets?

I will soon purchase a 1,000+ watt AC for my room. However, my home's wiring is old, and it can't support a high-powered application like a space heater. Therefore, my idea is to buy a window unit AC, but split the power demands to two plug outlets. This is the opposite of a multi-outlet surge protector where many small devices are plugged into one outlet.

Is there an electrical device to split the workload between two plug outlets? If so, where can I buy this and how much?

Finally, regarding safety issues: My plug outlets are 2-pronged (no ground). Would there a risk of fire or anything?

Reply to
2.7182818284590...

Thanks for your reply. In the past, when we used space heaters, the entire electricity system in our old home stopped working - except for the kitchen where 2 plug outlets worked. I'm really worried about tripping the breakers, because we would, literally, live in darkness and with lots of heat for a couple of days.

From the sound of things, it seems that there are no devices on the market which would allow me to do this.

Reply to
2.7182818284590...

The device you describe would create a safety hazard as well as an electrical code violation. You already have a safety hazard that could cause a fire if your electrical wiring cannot support a space heater. You'll need an electrician to resolve it.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr