MAX1292

Does anyone have experience with this chip?
I'm utilizing my free time to build a simple A/D circuit by referencing the
datasheet. Since there are circuit chips such as micros and A/Ds that confuse me, I thought I'd take some time to learn them.
The circuit is being simulated; I'm placing simple 1s and 0s on the input channels, reading the outputs on a logic anlayzer.
My problem are the CS, WR, INT, etc... The datasheet discusses using internal or external clocking; I'm using external. It states when using external to make D6 and D7 high. I thought those were outputs, how do I tell the chip to make them inputs?
TIA