ADC

I posted a message without a reply.
I have some confusion about the MAX1290.
I"m confused about the WR, INT, RD, etc.... Is there a way I can learn more
about how to make this chip work? The datasheet talks about setting D6 and D7 high but how (and why) do I make the outputs high?
TIA

A simple google for the datasheet revealed this: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/maxim/MAX1290-MAX1292.pdf
The data lines are tri-state. They serve as both input and output at different times depending on RD and WR.
daestrom

Yes, I'm aware of the datasheet.
I'm just confused by all the specs and can't get an output.

Reading page 10, it appears you start a new conversion by *writing* a specific command to the device (the command selects what channel, details in table 1). When the conversion is done the 'int' line goes low (you can connect this to an interrupt on your microprocessor or poll it I guess). You then perform a 'read cycle' to get the results. You read the results in two read-cycles, one with HBEN low and another with HBEN high. The chip puts the two bytes of the output on the data bus, one during each read-cycle.
This sort of device is designed to interface with a simple 8-bit microprocessor / microcomputer such as the classic PIC devices. I wouldn't try to use it stand-alone.
It looks like it has several features, including an on-board reference for conversion measurements or allows an external reference to be used.
daestrom