knob wiring problem

I have a switch in a room. When I turn the light off it turns the outlets off, thus sometimes I shut my computer down by accident. Is there any way to rewire a switch so that it does not take power away from the outlets? I want them always to be hot. Thanks. Robert

I bought a single pole switch with two horizontal switches. I notice you can remove a tab on the back side of the switch. I believe that changes things, but I dont understand how.

Reply to
Robert Salz

Robert Sometimes the outlet in question is wired so that one side is switched and the other is on all the time. I have a bedroom like this. Move to another outlet. It will be easier.

Bob AZ

Reply to
RWatson767

The tab allows for independant control of the switches. Usually a single hot is supplied to one side and the the load side is split. Some times you might have 2 hots so you would then split both sides. I suggest you pick up a book on basic wiring before you make a serious mistake. Ever considered scotch tape for the toggle switch handle?

Reply to
SQLit

| I have a switch in a room. When I turn the light off it turns the outlets | off, thus sometimes I shut my computer down by accident. Is there any way to | rewire a switch so that it does not take power away from the outlets? I want | them always to be hot. Thanks. Robert

About 6 inches of duct tape will do the job. Use two 1 foot long strips in a kind of "X" pattern over the switch for that "Red Green" look.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

for the yuppies (and girley men) there is a little plastic "guard" that you can buy at the hardware store.

you won't find one in the possum lodge though :(

Reply to
Tim Perry