Pulling power

I have to confess to being a fan of kettles and more than a little disparaging of more modern diesels and electrics. However being a kind and considerate father over the past year of two I have bought the occasional diesel for number 1 son and in some respects it?s been quite an eye opener.

For instance my layout is in a *very* dusty garage (I have a sanding machine, electric fretsaw and small bandsaw all contributing to the dust and mire) so to keep my layout running I run a special track cleaning train of my own devising. The principle component being a 21t mineral wagon with the centre cut out and a section of 00 gauge guild track rubber dropped through the hole. The entire wagon is very heavily ballasted. White casting metal is used to apply pressure on to the rubber with yet more metal added to keep weight on the wheels - to keep in on the tracks and I kid not when I say the whole thing weighs over a pound. Following it is a modified Cooper Craft GWR van slightly weighted with felt pads in contact with the track. It doesn?t half look out of place with what I?m trying to achieve with my layout.

Anyway as can be imagined there?s an awful lot of friction created by this setup and dragging it around the track can be an interesting experience. At the moment, when the whole thing is fully loaded the only engines I have that will pull it are a couple of my diesels - Bachmann Class 20s(*) and Class 3 shunter.

Well to cut a long post short are there any RTR kettles out there with the same kind of pulling power as my Class 20s. The reason being that shortly I?ll be building an improved version of the train but this time with bogie stock or converted passenger stock. Having done so it will be left on the layout disguised as a breakdown/engineering train and as my layout takes shape I want to pull it with something more in keeping. Any suggestions (LMS ex LNWR/L&Y preferred)?

(*) Massively impressed with these and I have to say if there were more

1st generation diesels available as RTR I might actually modernise.
Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote

In a word - no!

Before I stripped my layout I assembled a train of 55 Bachmann 16T mineral wagons plus a brake, and whilst all of my diesel models would walk away with same, of proprietory models only a Bachmann WD 2-8-0 and the same manufacturer's 9F 2-10-0 would haul it unaided.

The worst for haulage was a Hornby Black 5 which would struggled hopelessly to manage 30 minerals, and would stall to a halt on the sharpest curve on the layout.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , Chris Wilson writes

Have you thought of a white metal kit body on a proprietary chassis?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I do not want to contradict John but I have an Trix/Lilliput A2 pacific which I have found has the best pulling power of any loco that I have used. It just pulls heavy trains up inclines without the slightest trace of slipping. It may be due to the cast metal body and drive to all three axles. The only thing about these locos is that the motor sounds like a sick washing machine.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Jane Sullivan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

That's something to think about.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"John Turner" wrote in news:ekhd7b$6se$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderm1.core.theplanet.net:

So what's got a good flywheel mechanism, preferably with 8 driving wheels?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Now I remember a Bayer Garret in etched brass with 2 portascarp motors pulling and nearly pushing at the same time every coach we could add on the old Evercreach layout

Reply to
Trev

What about one of these

or would that not match the rest of the layout.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@45g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

'Fraid not, nor would it match my bank balance, this though would be ideal ...

(Loco42 - Hughes Class 31 (Large boiler)) I could cast some lead in to the boiler and put pick-ups on the tender and I reckon that it would be just about unstoppable especially with a low geared gear box.

However if I was to go to all that trouble there's no way it would spend its time abandoned in a siding hooked up to a jerry-built tack-cleaning train.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Kevin writes

Hah! That's only got 12 driving wheels. What about one of these, with 16 drivers? If it can haul 100 wagons, it ought to be able to pull your rail-cleaner:

Apply Rule 1: It's my railway and I'll run what I like.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Jane Sullivan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

I've seen it already ... be assured the phrase "green with envy" can be applied.

Methinks there wouldn't be room for anything else on my layout, all I have is a pair of 50' (or thereabouts) loops in a garage with a few sidings!

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Ian" wrote

I was referring specifically to currently available proprietory models. I had (recently sold) a Stanier 8F built from a DJH kit and fitted with an RG4 motor which would pull anything I cared to put behind it, but that wouldn't have helped Chris much.

Funnily enough I've had several of the Trix/Lilliput A2s and one or two have been superb, whilst others wouldn't pull their own tender [1]. They all sounded like a sick washing machine.

[1] all mine were loco drive, but I'm not totally sure whether some had their motors in the tender.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

How about making it into a Top n Tailed Rail Head Treatment Train for the layout- should be no trouble with a pair of loco's.....

Reply to
Kirk

"Kirk" wrote in news:421bh.8471$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

I've tried that, to many derailments, it only takes one engine to stall and the pull or push on the "rubber" wagon gets out of kilter and it goes for a nose dive ... hence I'm planning the Mk2 with bogie stock.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Chris,

I know you started off by asking if anyone knew of a steam loco that was able to haul a certain amount of wagons but the thread has moved on to diesels. I have two steep inclines on my layout and have found pilot locos or bankers to be of practical use. It does add another operating feature that was used in real life so you could get a steam hauled train being piloted by a diesel or steam loco and or banked by the same combination. It has been suggested that additional weight be put in the loco to improve adhesion but I have found steam locos lacking in space to apply this whereas a lot of diesel locos do allow this and from experience do improve the pulling power. The best banking loco would be a DJH LNER Beyer Garratt! My final suggestion, which is based upon diesel haulage, is to use a powered brake tender. I have got a Genesis kit of a brake tender and have filled it with lead, and have used two Black Beetle units as the bogies, and this outperforms some locos in its own right, but adds another aspect of railway operations that existed in real life.

Ian Robinson

Reply to
Ian

Of course you might want to use DCC to control the piloting/banking. (TIC ! TIC ! TIC !).

Whats the pulling power of a wrenn ? I cleaned up a City of London for someone recently and that seemed powerful enough. An 8f would look good, an

8f always looks good.

Simon

Reply to
simon

I was looking for a picture of a Big Boy but could only find a Challenger.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

In message , Kevin writes

What, one of these?

a model thereof?
even

Jane Sullivan

"Ian" wrote in news:gt5bh.23495$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

It'd have to be a pair of kettles I'm aiming for circa 1925 or thereabouts so I can run stock with pre-grouping liveries togther with some of the earlier grouping stock.

With a slight modification that's a very good idea, use a non running engine with some form of "inspection saloon" or carriage put into departmental use with a couple of black beetles, or perhaps a couple of carriages with 4 black beetles between them :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"simon" wrote in news:bs2dnc snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Well if it'll ^$*")&^ £$%^ shut you up I'll try DCC on the 009 section I'm about to build!!!!!!!!

But I'm not rewiring the 00! :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson