Mini breakersfor Siemens Q style breaker box

I want to install a whole house surge protector on my breaker panel but
I need to make some breaker space first.
The main panel is a Siemens "Q" style panel. I am looking for a mini
breaker to replace the existing Siemens 40 AMP and Siemens 20 AMP Q
style circuit breakers.
I noticed on a home improvement web site that Federal Pacific and
Zinsco offer these mini breakers. How do I know if they will work on a
Q style main breaker panel? More specifically, Is there a "Q"
style mini breaker that will fit in the Siemens Q style panel.
Thank you for your help on this.
~Joe
Reply to
google
I personally do not like to use the "less than full size" breakers on any 2 pole or heavy load breakers. I have had problems in the past.
It would appear that your google is broken.
Watch out with the neutrals. If the circuits were fed from 4 wire cables using breakers like this can overload the neutral unless you do some switching about.
Reply to
SQLit
Hey thanks for the post! Are you asking is my google is broken because I missed the link in the search or because you tried to send the link to the above address email address??
The 40 AMP breaker I want to swap out is for the oven. The leviton whole house surge protector is supposed to be installed at the top of the panel. Unfortuantley the panel is full, this is why I wanted the 1/2 height breakers.
Reply to
google
I think Cutler Hammer makes these "whole house" surge protectors...they are a complete service panel with the surge arrestors built right into the panel.
Anyone know of any others??
Fred
Reply to
Fred
Cutler-Hammer and GE products are available in Lowes. Intermatic protectors sold in Home Depot. Siemens sells some including the QSA2020 and QSA1515. Square D, Leviton, and others will appear in hyperlinks below. All are also available from electrical supply houses. Meanwhile other sources:
?id=579
(SYCOM's SYC-120/240TC)
$file/surgeprotectionFrameset.htm:http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z1B7539A1http://www.leaintl.com/pdf/HSPCCutsheet.pdfhttp://www.leaintl.com/pdf/PBSCutsheet.pdfhttp://www.mimcv.com/residential.htmlhttp://www.leaintl.com/pdf/MsaCutsheet.pdfhttp://www.erico.com/products.asp?folderid=50 A minimally acceptable residential 'whole house' protector should be at least 1000 joules and 50,000 amps. Meanwhile, many of these vendors also sell earthing and connection supplies and have application notes on solving that most critical aspect of 'whole house' protection 'systems'.. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.
Reply to
w_tom