modeling the magnetic field of multiple magnet bars

Hi all,

I have several magnets (bars) of well known size.

These magnets are placed on a table and they can rotate around their center until they reach a stable state.

I want to know if there are some mathematical formulas which can describe the interaction in this system.

I've found a formula which describes the force between two identical cylindrical bar magnets placed end-to-end.

But, I need a more general formula where multiple magnets are involved and are not always placed end-to-end.

Is there such formula?

thanks, laura

Reply to
laura

Hi all,

I have several magnets (bars) of well known size.

These magnets are placed on a table and they can rotate around their center until they reach a stable state.

I want to know if there are some mathematical formulas which can describe the interaction in this system.

I've found a formula which describes the force between two identical cylindrical bar magnets placed end-to-end.

But, I need a more general formula where multiple magnets are involved and are not always placed end-to-end.

Is there such formula?

thanks, laura

Reply to
laura

In principle, it is possible to do such a calculation numerically. While I do not know of a specific computer application to do so, all the theory needed will be found in Smythe's "Static and Dynamic Electricity." It is not an easy read, but life was not designed to be easy.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg