Magnetic Susceptibility of Dental Amalgams

The electrical behavior of any material when subjected to an electromagnetic field is dependent upon its magnetic susceptibility.

The following abstract is from an experimental study published in 1940 to determine the magnetic susceptibility of various metal amalgams.

"The investigation of the magnetic properties of non-homogeneous systems: part I, experimental technique L F Bates, C J W Baker and R Meakin University College, Nottingham Received 10 January 1940

Abstract. A description is given of a new apparatus and technique for the examination of the magnetic susceptibility of a non-homogeneous material, with particular reference to the investigation of amalgams of metals in dilute solution in mercury. An important feature of the apparatus is that the electromagnet has one pole tip with a cylindrical surface and one pole tip with a plane face, so that when an amalgam is placed in a vertical tube suspended from a torsion balance, each portion of the amalgam is exposed to the same value of the gradient of H2 in the direction along which motion of the tube is possible; consequently, measurements can be made with amalgams which separate on standing."

See:

Does anyone know if any investigations have ever been carried out to determine the magnetic susceptibilities of the metal amalgams commonly used in dentistry?

Can I find out this information from any reliable scientific source?

Or does everyone just guess at it, as with every other electrical property of dental amalgams which the dental profession is completely ignorant of?

(Remember, amalgam fillings are placed in children's teeth.)

Keith P Walsh

PS, some enquiries concerning the electrical properties of dental amalgams can be found at:

Keith Walsh

I remember reading a study that said that the electromagnetism from a computer monitor increased mercury vapour release three-fold. You might be able to find it on google.

Reply to
Io

What would be the millivoltage of amalgam restorations within high magnetic fields? I was always wondering about that ....... well since twelve minutes ago anyway.

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

I heard computer monitors emit 348 millivolts but amalgam fillings emit 349 millivolts. I am wondering why they are not the same.

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Sorry, my mistake ... its 350 millivolts ... I looked it up and everyone says 350!

Searched Groups for 350 millivolts. Results 1 - 10 of about 461. Search took 0.64 seconds. Sorted by relevance Sort by date

Amalgam Dental Fillings Are Electric Batteries ... has shown that mercury amalgam dental fillings are electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts. ... sci.med.dentistry - Aug 12, 2002 by Keith P Walsh - View Thread (123 articles)

Re: Amalgam Disease Related to Somatization ... Did you know that mercury amalgam dental fillings are electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts? ... sci.med.dentistry - Dec 22, 2002 by Keith P Walsh - View Thread (4 articles)

ADA Statement on Dental Amalgam ... controlled studies HAVE been carried out which demonstrate that amalgam restorations generate electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts. ... sci.med.dentistry - Dec 13, 2003 by Keith P Walsh - View Thread (202 articles)

Re: Dutch Research Confirms Amalgam Potentials in Hundreds of ... ... confirm that mercury amalgam dental fillings are in fact electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with magnitudes up to 350 millivolts. ... sci.med.dentistry - Jul 28, 2002 by Keith P Walsh - View Thread (37 articles)

Re: "All Metals Create an EMF" (Richard van Noort) Would that be 350 millivolts ~ I am just guessing here??? According to the most reliable scientific reference available it's 350 millivolts, yes. ... sci.med.dentistry - Jul 13, 2003 by Keith P Walsh - View Thread (13 articles)

Re: Thank God! I thought it was the 350 millivolts from amalgams ... That explains the aurora borealis around my amalgams. carabelli Doubt that, you'd be the first dentist I've met with amalgams.. ... sci.med.dentistry - Nov 1, 2003 by carabelli - View Thread (14 articles)

Re: Amalgam and Seebeck Coefficient ... power. 18 amalgam fillings @ 350 millivolts equals enough for my transistor radio. Joel news ... 350 millivolts right ? 350 millivolts is ... sci.med.dentistry - Dec 8, 2003 by Joel M. Eichen D.D.S. - View Thread (25 articles)

Re: Amalgam - Evidence Based Analysis. news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com This is complicated. Does it mean that amalgams give off 350 millivolts? [snip ... sci.med.dentistry - Nov 8, 2003 by Keith P Walsh - View Thread (66 articles)

Re: Amalgam - 150 Years of Electric Batteries In People's Teeth ... It has been demonstrated experimentally that metal amalgam dental fillings generate electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts. ... sci.med.dentistry - Aug 27, 2003 by Rich Shewmaker - View Thread (102 articles)

Re: Ignorance, Electricity and Amalgam Fillings ... experimentally that mercury amalgam dental fillings are electric batteries capable of generating electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts. ... sci.med.dentistry - Oct 21, 2002 by Keith P Walsh - View Thread (25 articles)

Result Page:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Why don't you consult the physics abstracts which most campus libraries have going back more than 100 years? We can't do your homework for you, especially when you plan to misinterpret physical phenomenology for your own personal, political gain.

Reply to
r5
360 millivolts, I believe ........

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Possibly, it may involve some legwork on your part. How long do they let you out for and how often?

carabelli

Reply to
carabelli

Until the battery runs down to less than 350 millivolts ........

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Okay, what B movie is this from?

carabelli

Reply to
carabelli

Gum used to come wrapped in tin foil. To feel the effects of that

360 mV, chew on some tin foil with those fillings. :-)
Reply to
Cecil Moore

I took some in my mouth when subjected to an MRI of my cervical spine. The teeth didn't tingle.

Mark Folsom

Reply to
Mark Folsom

In message , Keith Walsh writes

Qualitatively true, but do you think it's quantitatively important? Do any of the materials used in amalgams have a relative permeability significantly different from 1?

Reply to
Richard Herring

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

OK, Keith Walsh may not know one has to unwrap the gum and toss out the wrapper .........

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.
[snip]

You have been flogging this question for years now. It is obviously very important to you that you should get an answer.

Please let us in on the secret of why the answer is so important to you.

Franz

Reply to
Franz Heymann

[snip]

To whom are you replying, and what is this 360 millivolts?

Franz

Reply to
Franz Heymann

There is a secret mantra that is necessary (as password) when the alien abductions begin ......... spaceship aliens not Bush/Mexican aliens ..........

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

I have no idea, but Keith Walsh has spam-bombed this newsgroup with

350 millivolts as the figure generated by amalgam fillings in situ. What do you think about it?

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Oh, dear