Magnetic Susceptibility of Dental Amalgams

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:56:27 +0000 (UTC), Keith P Walsh

http://www.natureinterface.com/e/ni03/P045-049/ :
<quote> Generally, a single element of thermoelectric devices generates a voltage of 200 microvolts by a temperature difference of 1 C. To *** ########## obtain 1.5 volts by a temperature difference of 1 C, it is necessary to connect at least 7500 elements in series. It was obvious that *********************** extraordinary difficulties would follow in machining the elements and ensuring their reliability. </quote>
Now, how about 7500 amalgam fillings in one mouth, to produce 1,5 Volts... ?
Regards,
Aribert Deckers
--
"So finden Sie Gewinnertypen"
(Michael Strachowitz)

I think you've misconstrued the analogy.
If a single amalgam filling were analogous to a single wristwatch battery, then the individual grains of unreacted alloy in the filling (coupled with the binding matrix of reacted metal surrounding them) would be analogous to the individual thermoelements in the battery.
Do you think that it should be possible to demonstrate experimentally that the thermoelectric voltages generated by amalgam fillings are negligible?
Keith P Walsh

of course not, you can never prove a negative. no matter how good your test setup someone else may find a different condition where it is true. what is lacking in this 'discussion' is any significant correlation between amalgam fillings and the effects you are looking for. be it due to thermoelectric effects, galvanic action, or magnetic induction, voltage is voltage. there are lots of metals used in dental work, and plenty of chances to have ill effects. why don't you start by finding cases where ill effects have been directly caused by amalgam fillings rather than posing open ended questions in group2 that is not really interested in your speculations.
the original title of this thread was about the magnetic susceptibility of amalgams, this has no relation to the current discussion. the susceptibility would only matter if you were worried about a big magnet pulling the fillings out of your teeth, it has nothing to do with induced voltages in the fillings.( unless maybe you wrap some coils of wire around the fillings and use them as a transformer core)
i recommend you go chew on a piece of aluminum foil for a while and see if it changes your personality for the better.
You CAN prove a negative if your name is Jan Drew and if you post in sci.med.dentistry ......... at least she thinks she can!
Joel

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA
wrote:

test
I do not read sci.med.dentistry either although I do post there. Reading is far more cumbersome than posting.
Joel

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA
"So finden Sie Gewinnertypen"
(Michael Strachowitz)

At best an amalgam would be analagous to a **single element**. You can't just scale the size, thinking that the effects will scale as well. Note from the reference that you quoted:
http://www.natureinterface.com/e/ni03/P045-049 /

It would be a true miracle if amorphous amalgams were rearranging themselves into long series of Seebeck effect devices. If this were the case, dentists would have put the oil and coal industries out of business decades ago using their skills to create power generating amalgams!
Six amalgams will power a bedroom nightstand alarm clock .......

Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:17:28 +0000 (UTC), Keith P Walsh

7500 fillings are 7500 cells.
Count them !
Regards,
Aribert Deckers
--
"So finden Sie Gewinnertypen"
(Michael Strachowitz)
We give volume discounts if one patient needs 1,500 amalgams ........
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:28:03 +0100, Happy Oyster

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA
"So finden Sie Gewinnertypen"
(Michael Strachowitz)
Nope full fee ,,,, unless you have g-o-o-o-o-o-d insurance!
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:56:59 +0100, Happy Oyster

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

Are you sure? Next you will be telling me that my amalgams cannot light up a penlight (350 millivolts).
Joel
On 3 Feb 2004 00:45:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca (Alexander Vasserman DDS., BS.) wrote:

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

Errr... reacted metal ? unreacted alloy ? An amalagm is just a metal solid solution. and it is heterogenous. I doubt you would be able to measure differences in properties across it.
I know ,,, I hooked up my new watch to four amalgams and it works just great.
Joel

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

Think small. The 7500 elements fit in a watch battery so they can't be very large*. Maybe equal to the silver droplets in the mercury homogenate (in an amalgam). Some watch batteries are small enough to fit in a molar..
--
madiba * 80 micrometers in the article. Thought so.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:49:45 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@thekraal.com (madiba) wrote:

Some people never learn... To connect those cells, each cell MUST be insulated from the others AND there must be NO electrolyte around them.
Regards,
Aribert Deckers
--
"So finden Sie Gewinnertypen"
(Michael Strachowitz)

What makes you think amalgams are insulated and without electrolyte (saliva) around them. So your analogy is dummer.
--
madiba