Magnetic Susceptibility of Dental Amalgams

Oh, dear
Franz

Which would be more likely since amalgam usage is dropping but 'psychiatric "medicine"' usage is rising.
Now if Keith P Walsh would just avail himself of some...
--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.

I am afraid your answer was too verbose for me to enjoy reading it. And it did not make a solitary reference to the littlr matter of the magnetic susceptibility of dental fillings, which is what I asked about.
[snip]
Franz
350 millivolts /.......
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:01:55 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

Relative to what?
[snip]
Franz
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:01:56 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"

wow, two sets of mercury amalgam induced nut bars duking it out on the same NG. Should be an entertaining next batch of posts ...
MA Sonjariv (have followed the walsh posts for a couple years now - always the same - truly one of the better trolls frequenting sci dot NG's!)

Its even worse than this, can reach 350 billion picovolt. Shocking.
Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool, snipped-for-privacy@cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the same"
If you take into account quantum mechanics and string theory those amalgam voltage potentials extend into other universes ..........
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:47:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA
| chances are he is doing just the same"

Kieth Walsh: "It was 350 millvolts short ... and a dollar late."
On 23 Jan 2004 22:30:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca (Alexander Vasserman DDS., BS.) wrote:

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

So what? Are you claiming that an amalgam is a capacitor? Prove it. And even if an amalgam had some mechanism for accumulating charge, who cares? It won't hurt anything. You need to prove that either heating or arcing is occuring, and there is no way that 0.35 V is going to do the vicinity of a tooth.
What a crackpot claim!

Right, its the human tooth, not the auto welding shop.. No arcing needed, just a light discharge in the direction of the pulp/root. IIRC .07mV is enough to trigger a nerve.
--
madiba

He's worried about neurons on the other side of the cranial base, roughly the equivalent of my cell phone causing cancer in neighbors two blocks away.
carabelli

Interesting comparison. It could of course (say the pundits) if you use it to phone the neighbor on his cell phone.. But I digress. :-/ A better comparison would be to say its like causing your neighbours two blocks away to be sleepless by piping rap music to their home day and night via cable. The idea is the current produced by the amalgams goes via the dental nerves -> alveolar nerves -> trigeminal nerves -> the brain. I don't think its been proved to really happen, but why's the theory so difficult for you to understand, as a dentist?
--
madiba

snipped-for-privacy@thekraal.com (madiba) wrote:

But what's generating the current? Little nuclear power plants inside the amalgams? If you touch one end of an AA battery to your tongue, you won't get zapped and the potential across the battery will remain at 1.5 V. Somehow a circuit needs to be completed, and in the case of amalgams there is no completed circuit.

No idea, I thought it was due to pressure on the mixture of metals as in piezo-electric (sp) effect or somehow imitates the small mercury-type batteries that are used in watches, whatever. I'm not a physicist, but I can see the cabling is adequate.. :-/
--
madiba

snipped-for-privacy@thekraal.com (madiba) wrote:

But what is completing the circuit? At best I see an open circuit with one end where a nerve ending and amalgam are in close proximity, while the other end exposed to air is open.

REPLY:
I do not know about anyone else but Keith Walsh uses his tongue ...

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

You tuned in late. That is exactly what Keith is saying .... and more than once.
--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

For you and Keith---
"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"
Casablanca
carabelli