Magnetic Susceptibility of Dental Amalgams

I've looked for it.
I've asked the American Dental Association if they know of any such research.
And it appears that they don't.
It appears that there is no scientific evidence to indicate that the electrical potentials generated by amalgam dental fillings are not able to dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads.
Enquiries concerning the electrical behavior of dental amalgams can be found at:
http://book.boot.users.btopenworld.com/intro.htm
Keith P Walsh

go
reviewed...
where? how many universities, how many libraries, how many medical and dental society publications? over what time period? you said it should have been carried out, so go find who did it! you can't be the first to have this idea.

yeah, great. one association that is an organization of dentists... in your paranoid conspiracy theory mind would you really expect they would give you any information that might discredit their member's practices?????

'it appears'??? either they know of it or they don't... and if they don't it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that they are ignorant of it. and i'll bet you didn't even get past the first layer that only knows what is in their little handouts that sit in piles in their waiting room.

sounds like a double negative to me. 'no evidence' the are 'not able' doesn't mean they 'are able'.

yeah, a couple 10 year old unsigned short letters making unsupported claims sent to who? and ignored by how many? and you still don't have an answer so you keep asking the same open ended question on usenet trolling for believers.

Agree, and he is taking as a given so many assumptions which are simply false.

No it doesn't. But it does mean that organisations like the the American Dental Association have no scientific evidence with which to discredit practising dentists like Paul Genung of Seattle, Washington, who promote information such as the following on their websites:
"Having read this far, you are probably thinking this article is primarily concerned with mercury toxicity. The toxicity, however, is not as severe a problem (for most people) as the electrical currents flowing in our mouths. Although they are rarely recognized, these currents cause far more problems than the mercury itself. "
See:
http://www.toothwisdom.net /
This statement directly contradicts the ADA's stated position that amalgam is "safe"; but the ADA appears utterly powerless to discredit this dentist scientifically.
And why?
Because, in spite of the fact that it has been demonstrated experimentally that metal amalgam dental fillings generate electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts(*), it appears that there is no scientific evidence to indicate that these potentials are not able to dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads.
That's why.
The resting potentials of the nerve cells in the neurological fibers running to and from a child's teeth have a magnitude of only 70mV.
And amalgam dental fillings continue to be placed in children's teeth.
Experimental studies to determine whether or not the electrical potentials generated by amalgam fillings are able to dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads should therefore have been carried out.
And the results should be readily available.
If you can't see that then you have a very poor appreciation of what constitutes scientific understanding.
Do you have any amalgam fillings in your own teeth?
Keith P Walsh
(*) see:
http://book.boot.users.btopenworld.com/dutch.htm

Whoa! Keith Walsh is flippin' ..... First 350 millivolts and now amalgam is POISON!
This is new!
Amalgamitis ,,,,, beware its catching!
JOEL
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:32:39 +0000 (UTC), "Keith P Walsh"

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

Will listerine & flossing prevent this?
Yep, if you use Listerine and floss you will not get amalgamitis. If you skip you will ALSO not get amalgamitis.
JOEL

Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

Fine, perhaps it is amalgamitaphobia rather than amalgamitis that is the real killer. Is there anything to prevent amalgamitaphobia other than staying clear of certain Dutch researh papers?
Good one, you are right. Stay away from Dutch research papers and do not use for tooth cleaning purposes that Old Dutch Cleanser.
JOEL

Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

Does Old Dutch keep amalgams from becoming tarnished?
No but it cuts down on the millivolts emanating from the amalgam.
Less than 350.

Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA
No Joel, I'm not "flippin'".
I'm just remindin' everybody that there is no scientific evidence to indicate that the electrical potentials generated by amalgam dental fillings are not able to dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads.
And I'm pointin' out that some dentists are gettin' away with the practice of removin' patients' amalgam fillings on the grounds that they might cause physical problems by dissipatin' electrical energy to their surroundings, which is in direct contradiction to the Americam Dental Association's stated position on the "safety" of amalgam, and there ain't a darned thing that the ADA can do about it.
And why?
- because the ADA is just as ignorant as everyone else in this matter.
That's why.
Keith P Walsh
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:23:46 -0500, Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

True, few know about 350 millivolts ........
and radio station receivers ......
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:28:43 +0000 (UTC), Keith P Walsh

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

This statement is so heavily qualified that it means nothing. I can equally state that there is no scientific evidence that space alians are not dissipating EM energy in your head. Care to prove me wrong? :)
I have to say Walsh, that in 5 years of enjoying newsgroups, and especially in the past couple years you have been around, you are the absolute best Troll that has ever frequented any group, and I mean the best.
Your posts are well written and articulate, you rarely rise to the viceral responses and various character assassinations and generally you stay on your topic.
The fact you are wrong and irrelevant, and a complete nut bar is quite beside the point. You are definitely entertaining.
But don't you think perhaps you should get some help ...
Naw ... keep on posting, the spice is good!
MA Sonjariv
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:28:43 +0000 (UTC), Keith P Walsh

snipped

Maybe Walsh is a variant of the old BASIC computer program, Eliza, with special amalgam related modifications?
Very well said! I too am amazed that Keith never once lost his temper when questioned about 348 millivolts, or even 349, dozens and even hundreds of times.
Quite a gentleman. Quite incorrect, but still quite a gentleman!
JOEL

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

Please say the above aloud while looking in the mirror. Also, you've gone off topic. I guess since there is no electromagnetic basis for you claims, you've moved on to some other hand waving excuse?

The original message with which I initiated this thread asked the following two questions:
"Does anyone know if any investigations have ever been carried out to determine the magnetic susceptibilities of the metal amalgams commonly used in dentistry?"
"Can I find out this information from any reliable scientific source?"
In view of the fact that the 170 or so messages posted in reply have failed to provide any useful answers, I am happy to be prompted to ask these questions again.
Does anyone know if any investigations have ever been carried out to determine the magnetic susceptibilities of the metal amalgams commonly used in dentistry?
Can I find out this information from any reliable scientific source?
Keith P Walsh
PS, the following is a list of some of the material properties the values of which, for dental amalgams, appear not to be known by anyone anywhere in the world:
electrical resistivity electrical conductivity (reciprocal property of resistivity) magnetic susceptibility permeability permittivity seebeck coefficient thomson coefficient
These properties each have an influence in defining the electrical behavior of the material when subjected to electrical potentials, electromagnetic fields and temperature differentials.
It appears that these properties are easily measured for other metallic materials.
However, in spite of the fact that amalgam fillings are placed in children's teeth, it appears that there isn't anyone anywhere in the world who knows what these properties are for dental amalgams.
Not anyone.
Anywhere.
It appears also that some people insist that it is possible to establish an accurate scientific understanding of the electrical behavior of dental amalgams whilst being completely ignorant of these properties.
I think that's idiotic.
And I remain confident that it isn't me who's the idiot.
Enquiries concerning the electrical properties of dental amalgams can be found at:
http://book.boot.users.btopenworld.com/intro.htm