Magnetic Susceptibility of Dental Amalgams

And what about the temp gradient when you walk from under a tree into the sunshine. I fear an explosion! :)

Reply to
r5

At best an amalgam would be analagous to a **single element**. You can't just scale the size, thinking that the effects will scale as well. Note from the reference that you quoted:

The main reason for this lag was the difficulty of

It would be a true miracle if amorphous amalgams were rearranging themselves into long series of Seebeck effect devices. If this were the case, dentists would have put the oil and coal industries out of business decades ago using their skills to create power generating amalgams!

Reply to
r5

Really???

a digital watch only requires 1.5V to work and with your crazy idea that there is a temperture gradient all the time, why do we still need a battery in a digital watch???

As far as the scientist you quoted I have no Idea who they are but you mentioned an amalgamation of metals dipped in mercury, that is different that dental amalgam and how it is being used in the mouth vs some experiment we know nothing about.

Reply to
Alexander Vasserman DDS., BS.

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

349 millivolts plus or minus one millivolt .......
Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

This is why I wear my digital watch inside my armpit. When it slows down I take it out and it catches up in time.

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

I stand corrected. Ouch!!! Also did anyone notice in the original paper that the 350 mV was a worst case peak and that the mean was around 17 mV or so? These voltage levels might be more due to the grounding (or lack thereof) in the lab equipment than to an actual potential across the blob of amalgam.

Reply to
r5

Give up while you're ahead carabelli, you'll never beat Joel at idiotic comparisons.. how can you compare a battery in a watch on a wrist (skin is a good insulator btw which is why we need EKG paste) to an amalgam on the dental pulp which is hot-wired to the brain via cranial nerves..?

Reply to
madiba

7500 fillings are 7500 cells.

Count them !

Regards,

Aribert Deckers

Reply to
Happy Oyster

Dear Mr. Eichen,

that is "The Life of Jan Drew", in one sentence.

Regards,

Aribert Deckers

Reply to
Happy Oyster

Some people never learn... To connect those cells, each cell MUST be insulated from the others AND there must be NO electrolyte around them.

Regards,

Aribert Deckers

Reply to
Happy Oyster

What makes you think amalgams are insulated and without electrolyte (saliva) around them. So your analogy is dummer.

Reply to
madiba

To convert the temp. gradient to electricity.. Duh.

Reply to
madiba

I suspect that many people involved in this "debate" won't have even bothered to read the original paper.

The mean of 17mV for the measured amalgam potentials was quoted alongside the standard deviation for the same data of plus or minus

111mV.

This indicates that significant numbers of the measured potentials were large (compared with 17mV) and positive, whilst significant numbers of others were large and negative.

The mean value of 17mV is therefore of limited use in understanding the nature of these potentials.

I can illustrate this point with two examples of the limited usefulness of arithmetic means.

Firstly, if I report that I there is a group of five males with a mean age of 25 going to a football game, then you might get the wrong impression about the nature of this group if you don't know that their individual ages are actually 7, 9, 13, 36 and 60.

More relevantly, if I measure an electrical potential of minus 150mV in one of a person's two amalgam fillings, and another electrical potential of plus 150mV in the other, then I shouldn't expect to be able to convince anyone other than an idiot that because the arithmetic mean of the two potentials is zero then it can be declared that neither exists.

I'm not aware of any definitive explanation as to why some amalgams appear to indicate negative potentials whilst others appear to indicate positive ones when measured under comparable conditions.

However, in a simple theoretical model it might be regarded as logical to suggest that if the surface of one amalgam indicating a positive potential were to be connected via a conductive path to the surface of another amalgam indicating a negative potential, then the potentials might combine additively in the same way that ordinary batteries do when connected in series, possibly producing an even greater combined potential.

This might then explain the situation whereby individuals have reported excruciating pain when biting on a piece of metallic foil in the mouth, especially if the nerves behind the teeth are able to complete an "electrical circuit" through which the electrical potentials involved may be dissipated.

The resting potentials of human neurological cells have been measured at 70mV.

And it has been demonstrated experimentally that amalgam dental fillings generate electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to

350mV. See:

Amalgam fillings are placed in children's teeth.

I believe that experimental investigations should therefore have been carried out in order to determine whether or not the electrical potentials generated by amalgam fillings are able to dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads (perhaps at lower levels and on a continual basis without any tin-foil being present).

Would you not agree?

Keith P Walsh

Reply to
Keith P Walsh

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

This is the purpose of composite filling material ~ its a great insulator.

Question for our electrical buddies .......... There is a material that is widely used in dentistry and also used for insulating transatlantic cables ....... what is that material?

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Madiba, are you trying to break into the Idiotic Comparison Club?

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

is it that stuff they put in as filler after a root canal??

Reply to
David Robbins

Absolutely correct! Its gutta percha, the orange material that comes in various sizes to correspond with the bore of the root canal space.

It is also used in huge quantities as transatlantic cable insulation. It comes from Indonesia.

Joel

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Oh, Jeeeses, how about 1400 fillings ?