Monsgter Cable

Salmon Egg wrote: <snip>

Perhaps you should think of it in terms of humans and clothing - most bodies look more appealing with (some) clothing than nude and look better in candle, rather than arc, light.. :)
-- Sue
Salmon Egg wrote:

I think one of the claims, that may actually have some merit, is that vacuum tubes have a "softer" distortion. This is likely the result of slower switching speed on fast transients, tensing to round off the sharp corners. However, I that still leaves the question of which sound is more "accurate".
Ben Miller
--
Benjamin D Miller, PE
www.bmillerengineering.com

If you overdrive a vacuum tube you do get some distortion because of curvature in the characteristic curves. Overdriving a semiconductor is likely to produce hard saturation. Modern amplifiers with lots of feedback does not depend upon straight line characteristic curves. Semiconductor amplifiers are underpowered or poorly designed if you go into saturation.
Bill

There are many advantages to listening to a reproduction t home rather than a live concert. You can adjust volume. All coughs are fro m you and your guests. Other noise like that from aircraft and lawnmowers are not that easily controlled.
I find that when I listen to a Beethoven piano trio, once decent sound is achieved, better sound quality does not increase my pleasure.
Bill

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:30:16 -0700, Hugh Gibbons

After your remarks, I have concluded that you're just another total retard.

Take your trollery elsewhere, loser.
Salmon Egg wrote:

Here's one that's even better. It uses the Fibonacci Golden Ratio! See the Golden Reference speaker cable:
http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=products&content_id=2&pagestring=Speaker
Some have found that $.02 worth of gold plate and fancy marketeering can sell a $10 cable for over $100!
If your fancy is video, you can buy "hi fi" HDMI cables for ten times the price of one that works just as well.
There's one born every minute but the audio ones can "hear the difference"!
Roy will probably tell us that the OFHC, (oxygen free high conductivity), copper these cables are made from keeps the electrons from bumping into the oxygen molecules and producing noise. :-)
Then Multi-Nym will call Roy's mother the names he learned as an adolescent in middle school.
--
Virg Wall, P.E.

First one would need to understand a bit about testing audio, then a lot about subjective testing in general before even beginning to attempt to identify one piece of un-damaged low distortion audio gear from another in a "sound" comparison. Without total control of the test and the subjects there is little chance anyone could tell one device from another in a blind, double blind or ABX test if the sounds are similar.
If one's hearing can not reliably identify which of two sources are playing then any source of preference must be attributed to something other than sound.
Most audio professionals intrinsically understand this. This is why we put little weight in the observations, requests and opinions of those not in our little "audio professional" club.
peace dawg

Over the years, as my hearing has declined, I realized that most of this comparison business is bullshit. There is no better word to describe the situation. I find that a good performance trumps high fidelity any day of the year. I haved a scratchy, wowy, distorted tango record I bought a a drug store that beats any pristine hi-fi recording of these tangos that I have ever heard.
I am also reminded of a craze when CD were relatively new. People swore that you could get better sound by taking a green marker pen to the center hole of the CD. Why have I not heard much about that lately?
Bill

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 16:04:30 -0800, Salmon Egg

The technical term for the people who buy Monster cables is "audiophools".

On what basis is it better? I find scratch, wowy, and distorted pretty objectionable. ;-)

Green markers don't cost enough. Sharpie mixed color pens come with two blacks, a red, green, and blue. How could they charge $50 for just the green one?

I do not like all those defects either. But when it comes to enjoying the music subjectively, it just sounds like tangos should sound, warts and all.
Bill

krw wrote:

"Over the years, as my hearing has declined, I realized that most of this

The technical term for the people who buy Monster cables is "audiophools"."
To answer both of you- RIGHT ON!!
--
Don Kelly
snipped-for-privacy@shawcross.ca

For what it is worth the green markers were only twelve bucks and the green paint they contained was nothing like the green magic markers or any other ones. They were opaque non reflective ink is more like pastel white-out than sharpie ink.
Not that treated vs untreated CD's were ever statistically identified in a double blind ABX test though. There is a ten thousand dollar reward and a the promise of a cushy job judging audio awaiting anyone who can identify stuff like this IIRC.
peace dawg
VWWall wrote:

I have never seen a single test result based on instrument measurements that justifies all of that gold plating, oxygen free, etc.. Everything is based on subjective listening tests, that can't be disputed, and they know that. My zip cord speaker wires seem to be doing just fine.

Nice! Let's be proactive:-)