Motion detectors turning on.

I have a motion detector light on the front porch controlled by a switch. I checked the wiring at it is correct. With the switch off there is no voltage from the neutral to ground. However, I do get about 1 volt from hot to ground. With the switch on, I get 120v from hot to ground.

Problem is when I turn the kitchen light off or on, the porch light is triggered. I have to believe it is caused by a surge on the line.

Reply to
grinder

What's the load on the front porch detector switch? If it's an incandescent (resistive) load, then the problem is likely a faulty detector switch circuit. If it's an electronic load (self-ballasted CFL, for example), then the power circuit is always seeing some odd voltages; it's unstable and anything can set it off.

A solution would be to use a motion detector designed for electronic loads. I've also heard that you can also use a CFL and very low wattage incandescent lamp as the load to keep the hot side of the load circuit at zero.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Nothing that exotic. The load is a 60 watt bulb. It has to be the circuitry.

Reply to
grinder
Ï "grinder" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news:5Y-dnd9LsIL-9KfWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

I think that anyway the light is switched on and off by a simple relay. So, I don't see why a CFL would be a problem And even if it was done electronically, the engineer would have enough sense to put a triac. Why do you want to use a CFL in an intermittent lightning, escapes me. These lights are best used on all evening.

Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios