Motion detectors turning on.

I have a motion detector light on the front porch controlled by a switch. I checked the wiring at it is correct. With the switch off there is no
voltage from the neutral to ground. However, I do get about 1 volt from hot to ground. With the switch on, I get 120v from hot to ground.
Problem is when I turn the kitchen light off or on, the porch light is triggered. I have to believe it is caused by a surge on the line.

What's the load on the front porch detector switch? If it's an incandescent (resistive) load, then the problem is likely a faulty detector switch circuit. If it's an electronic load (self-ballasted CFL, for example), then the power circuit is always seeing some odd voltages; it's unstable and anything can set it off.
A solution would be to use a motion detector designed for electronic loads. I've also heard that you can also use a CFL and very low wattage incandescent lamp as the load to keep the hot side of the load circuit at zero.
TKM

Nothing that exotic. The load is a 60 watt bulb. It has to be the circuitry.

I think that anyway the light is switched on and off by a simple relay. So, I don't see why a CFL would be a problem And even if it was done electronically, the engineer would have enough sense to put a triac. Why do you want to use a CFL in an intermittent lightning, escapes me. These lights are best used on all evening.
--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering