NEC on Low Voltage

Does anyone know that requirements for low voltage wiring. I have a situation where an exposed conduit with low voltage wiring reaches the top of grade surface at my pool vault. It runs the length of the surface for approximately 2 ft. I'm told low voltage needs to be buried 18 inches down. Is that for all forms of low voltage or only low voltage wires not incased in conduit?

If replying can you point me to the code number or page number of the NEC book?

Reply to
drietow

First of all, there is no definition of low voltage wiring in the NEC. Circuits for low voltage are generally Class 1, 2, or 3 as defined in Article 725 of the NEC. Additional safety requirements are imposed by Article 504 for intrinsically safe circuits. You need to define the circuits that you refer to before rules in the NEC can be applied.

Reply to
electrician

You are looking for table 300.5 (burial depth) 680.22 distance from pool and 725 for general limited voltage/current circuits. The short answer is low voltage (

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
electrician

Most of the time we are lucky to get the 6". Telcos, landscapers and cable companies barely get it under the sod.

Reply to
gfretwell