Nema plug questions.

Utter nonsense. UL is a private organization. They have no special powers under US law.

As such, at least in the US, they have no spacial legal standing. There are other listing agencies, though isting isn't even al requirement under US law.

Reply to
krw

Holy smokes. I cleaned out my bozobin and noted two things immediately

1) you still can't read. 2) you are still a moronic troll

As such, at least in the US, they have no spacial legal standing. There are other listing agencies, though isting isn't even al requirement under US law.

wrote:

Reply to
Josepi

Of course you have to run away from anyone who corrects you.

You can't write, or think, for that matter. Everyone here knows this, too.

Oh, my! "Josepi" still hasn't grown up.

Reply to
krw
?

Stephen Furley writes:

My house still has a couple of such outlets, but the slots are centered. I never knew of the reason for the "T" slots. I've never seen anything with a 2-15 plug w/o a ground pin.

-------------------------------- I have seen these for "razor" outlets which can tale a horizontal (240V or parallel 120 V) plugs. They were 240V (in New Zealand) but took my camera battery charger without an adapter.

I have no idea of the rating but I expect that they could handle a dual voltage hair dryer (1KW?)

While these are not shown, the following is a good reference for travellers.

Don Kelly cross out to reply

Reply to
Don Kelly

Says the retarded, top posting, Usenet convention ignoring dumbfuck that cannot even spell "receptacle", but has no problems with 'bozobin' or Holy smokes" or other non-words.

Yeah, josepi, the Usenet convention ignoring retarded dumbfuck, you really have it on the ball! NOT!

You know nothing about elctrical power, and even your attempt to make yourself look knowledgeable via google further proves that you are nothing more than a coat-tail clinging twit.

Go BONE UP on Usenet posting convention, you retarded twit!

Otherwise, you are nothing more than a group abusing, interloping bastard. Your mother should be in prison for failing to flush you, the moment she shat you.

Reply to
KilRoy IsHere

The only version I've seen was used for 300 Ohm TV antenna outlets in the '50s. Later versions used the same pin size & spacing as popular crystals.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Josephi has problems following conversations. It has been clear from the start that the receptacle you describe is not in the standard NEMA charts.

Check

the bottom "U.S. Combination duplex outlet" The receptacle is called there a "T-slot duplex outlet", about the same as what I called it. It is apparently obsolete - one of the old ones I have is UL listed but it is not, as you say, in the current NEMA configuration charts.

=========== From the early days of electric power, I have seen a 'plug' that is the same as an Edison lamp screw base. It was on the end of a cord from something like a vacuum cleaner. You could 'plug it in' to a light fixture. The screw base would rotate relative to the cord.

I have also seen a wall receptacle that was the normal size plate, made of brass, with a round section in the center that would pivot open. Behind it was the equivalent of an Edison socket - an improvement to having to 'plug in' to a light fixture.

-- bud--

Reply to
bud--

"Seems to me" that configuration would be permitted in electrical sysems simply because it would accept both 120 and 240 volt plugs.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Yes, but why? If something is fitted with a 240 V plug them presumably it's intended to operate from 240 Volts; why would you want to plug it into a

120V supply? At best it wouldn't work very well, it might not work at all, and if involved certain types of motor they could well stall and overheat.

These days it's quite common to find things, e.g. Computers, which are designed to operate on any Voltage from 100 - 250, so they an be used anywhere worldwide, but this was not the case when these receptacle was designed. I suppose that you could have something like a portable floodlight, fit it with a 240 V plug, and you could then plug it into either a 240 V receptacle, or 120 V via one of these, it you fitted the appropriate bulb. There are however a number of problems with this:

You couldn't plug it into 120 V via the much more common Nema 1-15 (at the time) or 5-15 receptacles, which are where you would me far more likely to need to connect it.

You could plug it into a 240 V supply while fitted with a 120 V bulb.

It's unlikely that such a thing would be run on 240 V in North America.

Was there a time before the current standards were drawn up when both horizontal and vertical bladed plugs were used for 120 V?

Reply to
Stephen Furley

At least here in the UK that would not be the case. These are the only type of outlets which are allowed to be installed in bathrooms, and if so installed they must contain an isolating transformer. Since it is a simple matter to tap the secondary winding of this transformer these shaver sockets are almost always dual-Voltage. They usually take Nema 1-15, Australian angled blades, two-pin 'Europlugs' which fit most European sockets except the UK but fit most of them badly, and British shaver plugs. I think they may also take the long obsolete British 5 2-pin plug, but I'm not sure.

I don't know the rating of the transformer, but it's certainly far less than

1 kW. They are only supposed to be used for shavers and electric toothbrushes. Adapters to fit shaver plugs into BS 1363/A 13 A socket must be fitted with a 1 A fuse, which is physically smaller than fuses of higher rating.

If you were wondering how we use hairdriers in bathrooms, we don't.

Reply to
Stephen Furley

Here in austria the transformer says 20 VA.

Reply to
tuinkabouter

I have an image capture of an old Sylvester vs. Tweety Bird cartoon that clearly shows a duplex outlet with T slots. Another thing odd about that particular image is the outlets themselves are rotated 90 degrees so that the plug would go in with one blade over the other.

I've never seen an outlet quite like that, I don't know how much is artistic license vs. based on an actual outlet like that.

Reply to
Michael Moroney