New 200 amp service

Hi 200 amp service for a metal framed pole barn

i'm a newbe so be gentle. Question : when installing a service mast what is the best material to use aluminum or rigid metal conduit. when running branch circuits being that this is a metal building can i get away with using romex or should i use emt conduit. Any help would be very helpful. I guess you should know i'm not a licensed electrician , but i have some electrical experience doing trouble shooting on ac and dc breaker control units for railroad substations .

thanks greg @ dingmans ferry PA

Reply to
Greg

I would go with a rigid metal conduit mast and EMT or PVC rigid nonmetalic conduit for the wiring. The PVC is easier to work with unless you have some EMT experience and it will hold up better if you have moisture in the barn.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not sure where you live, but, it you can, run your service underground. It can save you a lot of problems further on up the road.

So far as your branch circuits, you have have a few options. You can use EMT, MC, PVC, and Smurf [the blue (sometimes grey or tan) flexible corrugated pipe] It really depends on your applications.

If you are us> Hi 200 amp

Reply to
Igor The Terrible