Odd 7-segment display

Came across a 90's vintage IR controller for printing industry (drives Q-H lamps for drying ink in the paper path) that uses a single-digit 7-segment
display that looks like a nixie tube (more like a white-hot wire segment) display. The 16-pin DIP socket is marked IEE-Atlas, and the single-digit display is marked "IEEFFD21 5DX C". Each digit display is 15 pin on a 16 DIP pattern.
I've done the requisite Google, but come up with nothing. The drivers on the PCB are MC14511BPC which is a standard CC LED 7-segment driver.
What are these? They don't look anything like LED segments (I can see each wire-like segment behind the glass front of each digit's display). Can I just replace these with a common LED display? Or are replacements available?
Thanks,
--
John English

"John E." wrote:

Incandescent wires? RCA called them Numitrons.
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/nixies2.html
<http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GWYA,GWYA:2006-31,GWYA:en&q=Numitron
prove it.

Once upon a time there were incandescent 7-seg annunciator devices, under various names. Minitron and RCA's Numitron are two names, but do a google search on "incandescent" and "7-segment" for heaps of background.

When I was young and enthusiastic, I built a frequency counter that used these. I think it was a Practical Wireless design. It's still around somewhere ...
Arfa

(drives Q-H

7-segment
segment)
single-digit
a 16

drivers on

see each

Can I

available?
under
google
used
Ahh, yes, -when I was about 14 years old I built a digital clock out of TTL devices from a Popular Electronics plan, which would have featured Numitrons as the display elements. I made what must have been the ugliest printed circuit board ever - my school class used the Mactac and hobby knife approach for making PCBs, which gave incredibly crude results. Sadly, my troubleshooting skills were not up to overcoming my crude construction technique and I never got the darn thing to work - it wasn't until years later I found out the key difference between the 7447 display driver and the 7448 that the fellow at the electronics wholesaler sold me.
I may still have the Numitrons sitting in the basement somewhere..
Bill
Bill Shymanski wrote:

Perhaps you should try to get the thing working now that you're armed with more knowledge? If you find the Numitrons and would like to get rid of them I'd happily give you something for a set. I build clocks using odd old display devices.
James Sweet wrote:

Do you have a web site or a link to some pictures? I collect clocks, watches and all things horological and am also interested in constructing unusual time pieces.
Anthony Fremont wrote:

I don't, but if you do a search for nixie clock gallery you can find pictures of all sorts built by other people.
James Sweet wrote:

Since I dug my PIC stuff back out the other day, I've been tinkering around with something I've wanted to do for a while. It's sort of a variation on the propellor clock but with a pendulum, so back and forth not around. I'm able to strobe out messages on a column of LEDs, but I'm not sure a pendulum (even a short one) is going to swing fast enough to give a very readable display. I may have to switch to a ceiling fan version. ;-)
.

It works if the size is small, you can buy these ready made at Target and similar stores. They use an electromagnet to oscillate the pendulum which is about 6" long and very light weight.

if the pendulum is short enough (about 1" to centre of mass) it should swing fast enough with gravity alone
Bye. Jasen
"John E." wrote:

Search for: IEE FFD21
prove it.

Thanks.
No replacements available.
So, since this uses the MC14511 driver, which was designed for LED 7-segment displays, all I have to do is provide resistors to each element and rewire for a common-cathode LED display, right?
Thanks,
--
John English

Right.

A little clarification, please...
I'm all ready to start looking for a CC display, when I look at the data sheet for MC14511BCP and it has example circuit hookups for both CC and CA.
I thought a driver output was for one or the other "gender", either CC or CA.
Am I reading this right? Can I use either without further need of other configuration or circuitry? Seems too good to be true...
Thanks, Dave
--
John English

<http://alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/pdf/11982/ONSEMI/MC14512.html
--
John English

The data sheet is here:
<http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheetpdf/view/11976/ONSEMI/MC14511BCP.html Due to bug in the data base, the previous link pointed to MC14512...
Thanks,
--
John English

A second reading of the ds shows that, indeed, a transistor is needed to use a CA display with the MC14511.
[gotta stop these early morning designs...]
--
John English

John E. wrote:

I would do happier with you if you stopped changing thread titles.

Sorry, I didn't know this caused a break in thread. My reader simply inserts the re-titled post in the same thread, just with another title. I should have realized that not all reader apps behave the same.
Sincere apologies. Will avoid temptation in future.
--
John English