Largest 7-seg LED displays?

Would like to build a clock with very large display. I'd like 7 to 10-inch high digits. The largest I can find is 5-inch.
I've considered doing a single LED array, but cost becomes an issue with large digits.
Ideas? References?
Thanks,
--
DaveC
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net

This firm makes custom large 7segment displays: www.london-electronics.com However you do it it winds up expensive though.
Tim Jackson
I read in sci.electronics.design that Tim Jackson <tim@tim-
about 'Largest 7-seg LED displays?', on Sun, 30 Nov 2003:

Do you wind up LED clocks? Or is this a wind-up?

No, don't get the wind up! I was after large panel meters. They quoted me about 500 UK each for 2" high voltmeters.
Tim
Tim Jackson wrote:

Two inch panel meters are not "Large" ;-)
--
I say, the boy is so stupid that he tried to make a back up copy of his
hard drive on the Xerox machine!

Is this relevant?
Statement 1. They make large displays. As large as you like. Statement 2. I happen to have had a quote from them for 2" high panel meters.
These two statements are not connected except as guide to pricing, which was necessary because the company do not show prices on their website - you have to ask for a quote.
OK?
2" high is large as panel meters go. If you know where I can get them off the shelf and cheap then I'd be interested in buying some. My customer turned down the 500 quote. I can't build them myself any cheaper, my time is too expensive.
Tim
They will quote in USD. From what you suggest here, Less than $862 USD How much? Fill in the data!

How
Tried that. As manufacturer they would only quote for an MOQ of 50 units. As and end user we only need a few. Hence the remark "off the shelf". There's the rub.
Tim
"Tim Jackson" wrote in message

customer
Sorry, knew they had built them, I also thought they had a few left! We bought 200 for one project and 26 for another, I heard they had 24 left.... Two years back, SO?
Roger Gt

I doubt that, because I have seen a great deal of 4", 6", and even 8" panel meters on the market. In fact, your local repair garage likely has quite a few of these on their diagostic and wheel alignment systems.
Perhaps you don't really mean a "panel meter"?
Harry C.
Harry Conover wrote:

I think he wants digital panel meters with 2" high seven segment displays.
--
24 days!

Michael A. Terrell

To clarify. Earlier this year I was looking for industrial wall-mounting digital meters to bolt on top of the machines that could be read at up to about 20m, say from the production office or anywhere on the shop floor, and would indicate the current value of a 0-10V process signal. I had in mind multi-LED seven segment displays. Sure, wheel balancers, car park counters and such, incorporate suitable displays, but they are built in, I can't bolt them to the factory wall or connect them to the process. I was looking for something installable by the resident electrician - a contractors bill for panel building or interfacing would push the cost back into the stratosphere (where accountants can't breathe).
Tim
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:33:48 GMT, the renowned "Michael A. Terrell"

Some years ago, I designed some with 3" displays but we found the marketability to not be all that great. It's one of those things that a lot of people *say* they want but when you go and make one, and figure out how much it costs, many lose interest. There are up to 200mm (8") displays available, but the MOQ $, power required, PCB cost and the housing cost goes up pretty fast at those sizes (with the square of the height). Of course if you're actually into making scoreboards..
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Where do bus companies get those EM marquee things?
Who makes Jumbotrons?
How about those "You are going xx miles per hour" displays they sometimes put in lieu of a speed trap? They've got a pretty sizeable display, if you can find out how makes/ sells them. Maybe check with your local cop shop.
Good Luck! Rich
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:07:21 GMT, the renowned Rich Grise

Sony. They are actually Braun tubes (CRTs) without deflection, IIRC.

Some of the road-work signs are now huge LCDs with fluorescent backlighting (like 4' tubes rather than those wimpy CCFL lamps).
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

The Oregon State Lottery 'dot-matrix' semi-graphical color displays aren't too bad. I'll bet they aren't that expensive given they're found in so many cafes and truck stops. Don't know who makes 'em.
--s falke

Fluorescent tubes? Perhaps single leds aren't that expensive, with a single segment of ~20 5mm dia. leds (some spacing between led). About 140 leds for a digit. 850 for a clock. 1000 leds on Ebay for $20.00 (search for item #2576358167)
--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

10-inch
A 5" single row of leds may be to a little bit to thin to light a segment. So you will need two or three rows. Boards to mount them, electronics to drive them.....
But what are the costs of it compared to that of 5" devices that are available? How about the costs of conventional bulbs or a specialized firm? Even if you can find of the shelve displays, they will not by cheap either.
As far as I can see, the best way to obtain the required displays is designing your own 3.5 - 5" segment boards. It should be possible to make one universal type that fits for all seven positions in a display. Then you *only* have to make copies....
petrus

Make your own with flourescent tubes.
--
William Smith
Made a seven segment display many years ago with four 12V incandescent lamps per segment, Needed to read from fifty feet away. This lamps were spaced evenly and the character was 16 inches high and 8 inches wide.
<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message wrote:

10-inch