Rendering LED displays in SW

I have been battling with this for some time.

How for example would I render an LED display, such as found on a typical clock radio etc.

I have made a block, and made it grey plastic, and extrude cut the shapes of the segments thru it. From the same sketch I have extruded a

1mm deep front and turned off merge result, this body I am trying different transparent, translucent and even dilectric materials on, with either them looking like glass where you can see into the display, or else it not being illuminated from the point lights I have placed within the recessed in the main body I have made.

I also would like to know how to have for example an LED illuminating a small translucent window in the body of something, for example the activity LEDs on a switch or router where the LED isnt visable, just its glow on a sticker over a hole in the casing.

Im getting the feeling that this is somethign that photoworks does not excel at, but I am sure there must be a way to do this.

Reply to
richms

Rich,

Send me an e-mail at my website

and I'll send you a slide of what you could try. You're right, PhotoWorks doesn't excell at this but there are work arounds.

richms wrote:

Reply to
Rock Guy

Rich,

The best effect that I have gotten is to actually add a spot light to the final assy and make it a small cone and turn it up all the way the same color you want the LED to be with the LED being the same color glass as the light. Rob's suggestions will probably be better than mine but I just wanted to throw another option out there.

Ken

Reply to
ken.maren

My first quess would be to use a material with a 'constant' material type (illumination tab) and use indirect illumination to get the glow on the rest of the model.

Kind regards,

JJ

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schreef:

Reply to