Odd 7-segment display

John E. wrote:

I appreciate it. It is not so much a problem with broken threads, for me, as much as it is that I remember the thread title of threads I have been reading. When you change the thread title, I have to go back and review earlier messages to remember what subject we are talking about.
John Popelish sez:

And I, appreciating your many contributions to posted questions, will endeavour to make my questions as memorable (in a good way) as possible (c:

Eminently logical.
--
John English

John E. wrote:

This conversation has been such a nice change from the flame wars I see here, so often. And it is a pleasant experience to finally meet a Vulcan. ;-)
Gave us:

Yeah! So there!!!
I guess I'm a Vulgan ;-]

Most readers use the message ID and work correctly.
--
.
.

It is. [too good to be true]

The device, by itself, is designed to drive a common cathode display

Most drivers for LED displays (CA3161 etc) have the resistors built in for direct connection. But you should check the data sheet for your particular one.
--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Does it heat up? Voltages?
--
.
.

John E. wrote:

Sounds like a Numitron incandescent filament display. These are getting very hard to come by.
James Sweet sez:

Purchasing LED 7-segment replacements and associated kit (resistors, etc.) tomorrow to convert to a 21st century technology.
--
John English

They used to be popular in petrol pumps in the UK (they are readable in quite bright sunlight).
--
Andrew Gabriel
"John E." wrote:

Incandescent, but not Numitron ... I think. ISTR that Numitron displays were packaged in glass envelopes, like the Nixie or your garden variety "valve" (tipping my hat to Brits), and were designed to stand upright. Your device, on the other hand, is 16-pin DIP.
I have a handfull of these things, purchased new circa 1972 from a small "TTL chips and stuff" mail order company in Missouri (if memory serves) for use in the second digital clock I had designed. (First clock used Nixies) Nixies turned out to be way too bright though, and there were no inexpensive 7-segment LEDs back then. The incandescent wires drew a low of current, and 6 displays required a robust p.s., so I replaced these displays with LEDs as soon as the latter became available.
The incandescent displays I have are not marked with a manufacturer's name, just "8-43-19" silk-screened in white paint on one side of the black case.