B&S #7 Taper Round Collets

I just got myself a new dividing head, and I would like to get a 3/8" B&S #7 taper round collet for it. And possibly a 1/2" one also.

MSC no longer seems to carry them in those sizes, and I could not find them either at Enco, McMaster-Carr, Travers and J&L.

I did manage to find them at

(see
Is anyone familiar with this company? How good/bad are they? The price for their collets at $9.50 seems to good to be true. MSC listed them in last year's catalogue for over $42.00

Would anyone know another source for B&S #7 taper round collets?

I did find an old post by Boris Beizer, dated 7-11-2000, in which he describes ordering some 5C collets from HHIP and being unhappy with the transaction because of a number of screw ups. In the post he mentions, that he "... bought the two missing collets elsewhere for $5.50 ..." Boris, if you still hang out here, would you mind telling me where you got those missing collets. Maybe those people have B&S taper collets also.

Thanks in advance.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Are you certain they are B&S and not Morse taper? Also try Victor Machinery Exchange

- their Web page lists B&S #7 collets in sizes 1/8 - 1/2 by 8ths. Court of last resort for collets is Hardinge. Their collets are right. But you pay for what you get. If they don't have it, they'll make it.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I think so. That's what the manual says, and all the tool catalogues where they sell these dividing heads. It's one of those semi universal ones, that you see everywhere these days. This is the one I got:

As you can see it says: "Head Stock ID Taper: #7B&S"

I checked. Their price is more in the range that I would expect. I prefer paying a bit more, if that means that I get a better tool, which is not always the case of course, but usually so. I'll contact them to find out where these are made.

The collets from H$&H are probably Asian. Maybe the ones from Victor are American made.

With Hardinge, I know I don't have to worry about the quality. I do know that those would be expensive. I'll contact them also.

Thanks for the link and tip.

Reply to
Abrasha

Couldn't see where my Victor B&S collets were made, but I lied. Some of B&S collets came from Grand tool .. bought them at one of their perennial sales, it seems. These were made in Germany. No complaints, no problems.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

I very much doubt that Victor is selling US collets based on my previous shipments from them. Probably made in India. I'd call and ask. Good luck.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I purchased a set of 5C collets from them ( I'm a hobbiest ) and they were the least expensive I could find (came from China of course). I use them often and am very happy with the quality for my use ( hey, I'm not building the Space Shuttle!). Got quick delivery.

Ed

Reply to
Ed