Help - Vintage Lionel In Store Display D-162

I just received a vintage Lionel D-162 in store display in the origianl box. Shipped from the Irvington Branch in Newark NJ. It only has the
platform, track and two bumpers. All of the switches appear to be in good shape. No buildings, lights or accessories but plenty of holes where there used to be other items. Lots of underneath wiring.
I plan to restore it and would love to find any information available. Google searching yielded very little. Any information or sources would be useful. Thanks.
Jerry

Nice find!! Look for a copy of the paper cover book "Classic Lionel Display Layouts You Can Build" by Roger Carp published by Kalmbach Books, ISBN: 0-89778-509-6. It describes several original factory displays, including the D-162, and for each has a photo, a list of the items (accessories, switches, etc.) Lionel supplied with the display, a diagram of the top showing the location of all components, and a diagram of the wiring on the bottom of the display. The book describes how to make a reproduction of a factory built display, but much of that info will be useful to your restoration.
I have just finished helping a friend restore another factory display. It was in poor condition from many years of storage in a coal bin, and he did not care about potential loss of market value from restoration, so my friend washed off the top with a garden hose. He discovered that some of the scenery - the dyed sawdust grass and fine stone track ballast - was held down by the oil-base green and gray paint Lionel used on those surfaces, and these survived his washing remarkably well. But the highways were apparently done with a tan water-base paint so that most of the sand texture material washed away.
Good luck with your project! Geezer
Geezer,
Wow! Thanks for the info so quickly. I'll look for the book. Geezer wrote:

You may also like Brady Burge's site, with plenty of Lionel Display layouts :
http://www.lionellines.com/displays.html
--
Graeme Eldred

Thanks for the help but I still haven't been able to find any pictures of the D-162. Also can't find the book mentioned in the posting. Any help you or others could provide in finding that book would be useful. Thanks.
Jerry
Graeme wrote:

Sorry, I had not realized it was out of print. I could not find it at the Kalmbach site or at Amazon.com. I did see one for sale at BookFinder.com but that was for a ridiculous $182. I feel we owe it to the author/publisher to buy the book if it is available, but I don't feel the same about scalpers. I have been copying my responses to your displayed email address; are you receiving these messages through that address? If so, I'll try to scan the 2 pages about the D-162 from the book and send .jpg's to you at that address in a couple days, after we get our Christmas cards mailed and my wife loosens my leash. Geezer
Geezer,
Thanks for the consideration and I know about those honey-do lists this time of year too. I would be most appreciative if you could send the jpgs. I am receiving the e-mails you sent directly to my account but when I reply to you from there I got bounced back so I'm posting here. This has been like an archaeological find trying to get information and makes it kind of fun. I dug this platform out of a neighbor's garage where it was hanging from the ceiling in the original box. If I had more time in that garage I probably could have found the accessories but I didn't want to get greedy considering they gave me the platform. The pics will allow me to go searching for the parts to complete it. Thanks a bunch. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Jerry
Geezer wrote:

Geezer,
Got the pics and they are amazing. Exactly what I need to get started to bring this platform back to life. I'm searching ebay already for the parts and looking forward to bargain hunting at the train shows. I'll keep you updated and send some pics back once I get going. Hey one more question - any idea what year the D-162 was made? I didn't see anything on 2 pages you sent. Thanks for everything - don't know where I would have gone without your help. Hey - do you think I can get more than $36.50 for it - lol? Would be curious about it's worth but have no plans to sell. Doing it for the kids.
stickmanparty wrote:

The "Greenberg's Guide to Lionel Paper and Collectibles" has a brief section on dealer displays. It lists several "D" numbers, but very little information about each, and recent (circa the 1990 copyright date) prices for only a very few. It lists "D-162 Display: 1956. Dealer display, Lionel operating layout; includes track and switches only; measures 4' x 6'. No Reported Sales" The 352 ice depot and 155 hiway signal were only cataloged from 1955 thru 1957 which tend to confirm this date. Geezer
Geezer (or any other ),
Well the D-162 platform is progressing nicely. I have managed to clean some of the spots by using just soap and water and the green areas held up really well as you mentioned before. I have picked up some of the required accessories starting with the 352 Ice Depot. Now I need to work on the wiring and I have some questions.
The 1122 switch controllers have the 3 conductor wire which appears to crumble to dust. Seems to be a common problem with all of the old multi-lead wires including the decoupler track which uses 4 conductor. Since I am trying to restore this platform with original material I'm curious how I can resolve this wiring issue. I will obviously need to solder the new leads to the controller and want to make sure I only do it once. What do the collectors use for this? Is it the same as the old material and will eventually need replacement or is there a better product available? Does it matter if it's not "vintage"?
Still have a lot to learn but am getting there quickly. I also need a variety of other small parts like light bulbs for the switches and ZW transfomer. I also need some green/red indicators for the switches. Any suggestions on a parts dealer? I found Dr Tinker Trains which seems very complete but thought I'd ask first.
Thanks again for the help and I'll try to get some pics soon. Not sure if I can post pics here or not.
Jerry
Geezer wrote:

replying to stickmanparty, Timothy wrote: I found a track for a D-162 in the roof of a building I just bought. It has no accessories (like yours) but I did find the original paper with the picture of the layout.