Old houses don't use multi outlet circuits?

I suspect this could be called the "electric frying pan" rule. Think of your normal breakfast, (eggs, toast and coffee). A frying pan, toaster and coffee maker. You won't get all of them on a 20.

Reply to
Greg

Of course you are right. It would be, what, maybe 4 A on the high setting? I should have included an electric roaster or frying pan as others suggested. But again, I need to check those items to see what they really draw. --Phil

Reply to
Phil Munro

I am sure there are many people that can get away with limited power in the kitchen and elswhere. But that is not my plan. The house I now live in has 200 amp. 3-20 amp 1-15 amp in the kitchen alone. Disposall Trash compactor

2 microwave 2 toasters coffee pot waffle iron lighting fan over stove frig blender TV I am use to this level of power, and will want it in the new house. Anyhow, that is now what I need advise on. I wanted advise on wiring methods. For instance, do I drill the floor joist to cross the basement, or can I attach a 1x6 near the center I beam and attach along there to cross the basement. Also, I am attaching a light operated vapor lamp to a tree in the back of the house. The tree is only about 4 feet from the house. Can I fly wires to it? Or should I use conduit from the basement, up the tree? If I fly the wires, what type of wire to use, and how to attach? That is all the unknowns thus far. I am sure I will run into many more as I proceed.

John

John Jacob wrote:

Reply to
John Jacob

True, but only 2 devices will be plugged into one receptacle, with the third on another 20A cct. And besides, the breaker won't trip right away anyhow. I still think a 15A split is better than the 20A rec's though.

Romy

Reply to
Romy Singh

You seem to think that the 20A circuit feeds only 1 counter top receptacle. Not necessarily true. You could have a toaster and a frying pan on one receptacle, and a coffee maker on another receptacle, with both receptacles on the same 20A circuit.

The rule requires at least 2 20A circuits for counter top receptacles, but does not require that the circuits serve only 1 receptacle. You can wire 3 or more countertop duplex receptacles on the two required 20A circuits.

Perhaps. But that would force you to install 2 GFI breakers, unless code does not require that. In the US, we're not allowed

15 A circuits for kitchen countertop receptacles, and those receptacles must be GFI protected. In addition, a single split 15 A doesn't give as many plug positions as 2 20A not splits - 2 positions vs 4. And if you install a second 15 A split on the same circuits to get 4 plug positions, you greatly increase the possibility of tripping breakers. If you add add 2 15 A circuits to feed the second 15A split receptacle, your cost is greater. Now you've got 4 GFI breakers at about $100 instead of 2 GFCI receptacles at about $16.00, plus 4 runs of Romex back to the panel instead of 2.

For my money, the 20A circuits are preferable.

Reply to
ehsjr

It is not limited that way. For example, receptacles in a bathroom must be on a 20 A circuit. That circuit can not supply any other outlets. That does not limit to a specific number of receptacles, but it does end up limiting the number of receptacles in practice. Unless you have a really large bathroom it is one or 2 receptacles in practice. We are required to run a 20 amp branch circuit to the laundry. It can serve an unlimited number of receptacles in the laundry, but it also can not have any other outlets, which essentially limits the number of receptacles on that branch to one or two.

Reply to
ehsjr

It's strange how the NEC and CEC differ so much, I don't think we require a

20A cct anywhere in a house. Sure, we use alot of dedicated 15A cct's, but nothing 20A. (until recently to cheaply satisfy kitchen GFI protection).

Romy

Reply to
Romy Singh

My kitchen and adjacent butler's pantry have 32 circuits

18 - 20amp circuits each feeding an individual duplex 20a GFI outlet 8 - 20amp circuits feeding dedicated single outlets (2-refrigerators, 2-microwaves, dishwasher, disposer, reverse osmosis water filter, countertop hot water dispenser) 3 - 20amp circuits feeding fixed items (range hood fan, 2-lighting circuits) 3 - 30amp 240V circuits (oven, 2-induction cooktops)

My Trash compactor is located in the garage and has its own circuit there.

Best plan is to run conduit accross joists to junction boxes and use BX, Romex, Flexible conduit, or conduit to go up to the points of use.

Wiring should never use living supports.

Reply to
Bill Coffel