Oxyacetylene Fires, Ionization, and EMI

Hi:
An oxyacetylene flame -- due to its high temperature -- can cause nearby air molecules to ionize. Does this ionization cause electrical
disturbances that can be heard on an AM radio? If my neighbor is using an oxyacetylene torch will I hear the electric noise on my AM radio? Can nearby analog televisions also experience visual disturbances from the ionization caused by the oxyacetylene flame?
Thanx,
Radium
Dear Radium:

Is there a net electrical current? If not, then no.

Plasma torch, likely. Electrical welder, certainly. Oxyacetylene torch, probably not.

Probably not.
David A. Smith

The intense heat from the flame might cause certain compounds in the air to dissociate into ions.

The heat and light of the flame is due to electric forces in the chemicals being burned. Right?

A flame is a form of plasma. In addition, electricity can pass more easily through a flame than through room-temperature air.
Dear Radium:

It is called a plasma, and both charges travel together. No net electrical current.

Actually, it is caused both by the momentum of the various atoms, and the light released in the chemical reaction(s).

But there is not a potential difference to cause unbalanced current flow.
If you want to mess with him, though, you could cause his plasma to talk to him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_arc_loudspeaker
... "THIS IS THE VOICE OF GOD. STOP MESSING WITH THY NEIGHBORS RECEPTION." ... ;>)
David A. Smith
Radium wrote:

\ Has burnt your brian for all that you troll care to hear.

The neighbor's arc welder will cause a little "snow" on the lower VHF channels and can be heard as static on AM radio; gas produces nothing.
--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
In alt.engineering.electrical snipped-for-privacy@specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
|> Dear Radium: |
> [...]
Not after Feb 18, 2009.
In sci.physics.electromag snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote:

I think it is a pretty safe bet that the date will get extended.
--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc) wrote: