Oxyacetylene Fires, Ionization, and EMI

Hi:

An oxyacetylene flame -- due to its high temperature -- can cause nearby air molecules to ionize. Does this ionization cause electrical disturbances that can be heard on an AM radio? If my neighbor is using an oxyacetylene torch will I hear the electric noise on my AM radio? Can nearby analog televisions also experience visual disturbances from the ionization caused by the oxyacetylene flame?

Thanx,

Radium

Reply to
Radium

Dear Radium:

Is there a net electrical current? If not, then no.

Plasma torch, likely. Electrical welder, certainly. Oxyacetylene torch, probably not.

Probably not.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

The intense heat from the flame might cause certain compounds in the air to dissociate into ions.

The heat and light of the flame is due to electric forces in the chemicals being burned. Right?

A flame is a form of plasma. In addition, electricity can pass more easily through a flame than through room-temperature air.

Reply to
Radium

The neighbor's arc welder will cause a little "snow" on the lower VHF channels and can be heard as static on AM radio; gas produces nothing.

Reply to
jimp

Dear Radium:

It is called a plasma, and both charges travel together. No net electrical current.

Actually, it is caused both by the momentum of the various atoms, and the light released in the chemical reaction(s).

But there is not a potential difference to cause unbalanced current flow.

If you want to mess with him, though, you could cause his plasma to talk to him.

... "THIS IS THE VOICE OF GOD. STOP MESSING WITH THY NEIGHBORS RECEPTION." ... ;>)

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

|> > An oxyacetylene flame -- due to its high temperature -- |> > can cause nearby air molecules to ionize. Does this |> > ionization cause electrical disturbances that can be |> > heard on an AM radio? | |> Is there a net electrical current? If not, then no. | |> > If my neighbor is using an oxyacetylene torch will I |> > hear the electric noise on my AM radio? | |> Plasma torch, likely. Electrical welder, certainly. |> Oxyacetylene torch, probably not. | |> > Can nearby analog televisions also experience visual |> > disturbances from the ionization caused by the |> > oxyacetylene flame? | |> Probably not. | |> David A. Smith | | The neighbor's arc welder will cause a little "snow" on the lower | VHF channels and can be heard as static on AM radio; gas produces | nothing.

Not after Feb 18, 2009.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Why ask a trolling frothing idiot?

Don't feed the troll............

Reply to
Dan Bloomquist

\ Has burnt your brian for all that you troll care to hear.

Reply to
Dan Bloomquist

I think it is a pretty safe bet that the date will get extended.

Reply to
jimp