Strange behaviour... Phoenix Models Extra 330s EP

Wondering if anyone has any explanation for my problem.....

Ive recently purchased an EXTRA 330s Electric (much like the mini katana) made by Phoenix Models. I set it up with electric gear:

Novatech 25amp ESC

4 x Hitec HS55 Hitec Mini RX E-Flite 480 Brushless

It lasted about 5secs in the air on its maiden flight and went crazy on me, then hit the deck smashing the nose off it and destroying the cowl. I assumed that either the electronics were too close to each other which caused some jitters when the plane got a certain distance from me or, the RX or ESC was dodgy. I have sent all the electronics back to my hobby shop for a credit and have since repaired the plane and made it a glow plane with TT15 2c. I have used a JR700 RX this time and have the antenna wired outside the fuse down to the tail. I cant even get 30mtrs from it with TX antenna fully extended and it jitters like crazy. I then discovered if the RX antenna does not touch the fuse at all, I can walk a mile away without any jitters. Im starting to think that all the electronics I sent back are perfect and there is something strange going on with the plane itself.

I have even swapped out the R700 for an RS70 and still the same thing. If the RX antenna touchs the fuse anywhere, I get jitters real bad. Im at my wits end and don't know what could be causing this to happen. I have heaps of Glow planes in all shapes and sizes using the same equipment and none of them jitter at all. I have their RX antennas routed just like the Extra 330s. And just like everyone at my local club... Never had a problem.

Im using a futaba 7CAP that has all my planes programmed into it and none of them have any drama's. The Receivers that I have tried in this plane are out of a couple of planes that work fine with the same gear.

Could it be something to do with the solafilm that the fuse is coated with? Clutching at straws here... Could it be a dodgy Y Harness?

Thanks for any input.

Troy.

Reply to
Troy

Is the covering a moralized film?

Are you testing it at the same field all the time? If so does anyone else have glitches on that channel?

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

Hi Harlan,

Im not familiar with the term "moralized" but I have done some investigating on the type of covering used... The film is Ultracote transparent Red. I have been testing the range out the front of my home and at the field. My frequency is 36.310 and works fine with all my other planes at the field and nobody else has glitches on that same frequency at the same field.

Regards,

Troy.

Reply to
Troy

perhaps the term should have been "metallized film" or a chrome metal look finish type film

Reply to
funfly3

OK, No there is no metallic substance in the film that I can see....

Here is a link to a picture of the Extra....

Its at the bottom of the page. The EP version in Red and White.

Troy.

Reply to
Troy

metal to metal linkages anywhere?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just double checked and no metal to metal linkages anywhere.

I have a Futaba RX on order and will try that next. I have just discovered that the JR RXs are single conversion and the Futabas are Dual.

Not sure why that doesnt make any my other planes jitter though....

I have tried changing frequency and also disconnecting each servo one by one to isolate the problem without any success.

Regards,

Troy.

Reply to
Troy

Sometimes, how the wiring is laying in relation to the receiver antenna can cause problems.

Are you doing something different in this model than your other models as far as the wiring layout goes?

Don't pay any attention to the fact that JR is using only one stage of conversion. What the others don't tell you is that the JR is using a hefty AGC circuit in front of that single conversion which greatly alleviates typical single conversion problems. Both types have advantages and disadvantages.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Just found this interesting post on the RC Universe forum.....

Troy.

Reply to
Troy

I'd find the Hitec rep and ask him about the situation.

I use Hitec receivers and like them a lot, as well as JR.

I used to fly Futaba, but got ticked when a slave switch fell off without me knowing it. I went to couple the flaperons to the elevator for a tight half loop from inverted flight, pulled the elevator and discovered that the switch bat had broken off the transmitter. One severely crashed model resulted.

Then the bastards had the nerve to charge me for fixing the PC board mounted switch. No apology, nothing. That is when I sold their junk and bought JR equipment.

Of course, my gear was for larger planes, which are a different ballgame.

Good luck sorting out the problems.

Ed Cregger

Ed Cregger

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:50:45 -0400, "Ed Cregger" wrote in :

I mix both Hitec & JR, too--receivers & servos from both brands.

I'm not familiar with the Hitec 55s mentioned by the first poster.

And the odd behavior of the system based on the antenna touching or not touching the fuselage, with a couple of different receivers involved, has got me totally baffled.

I'm hoping that the guy with the problem will find the correct diagnosis and let us know what the problem was. It's truly weird.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Troy:

I'm not familiar with the term "moralized" either..... as it applies to the hobby, anyway. Must be my dyslexic fingers. I meant "metalized", and probably misspelled it. The spell-checker does funny things at times.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

Troy, I've only been in this hobby for a year, so I'm new at this stuff. Take my comments with a healthy dose of second opinion, but I'd say the problem is the JR Rx and the Futaba Tx. I'd bet on the problem disappearing when you get the negative shift Futaba Rx installed. But, to my understanding, some of the newer Futaba Rxs no longer distinguish between negative and positive shift, so your new Rx may not be a negative shift and may work just fine.

If I'm not mistaken, the JR Rx is positive shift and I don't believe that is compatible with the Futaba Tx. I don't know why you haven't had problems with the other planes, however. I'm also not sure if the 7CAP is shift selectable, but I don't think it is.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

Only on 72MHz does the negative shift issue appear. The poster specifically mentioned 36MHz. Probably in Australia where its a legal band and they speak almost proper English.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Troy" schreef in bericht news:qVnWg.44140$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

Could it be the covering building up a lot of static electricity, thus distorting reception? Did you have relatively dry-air condtions as it happened?

Pablo

Reply to
Pablo

Gday Harlan,

Here in Australia Futaba and JR gear are on the same shift and work fine. Im aware that they are incompatible in America though.

Regards,

Troy.

Reply to
Troy

Now thats a thought! It has been very dry and windy over the past month.... Not sure on how to rectify that problem though, if it exists.

Reply to
Troy

Harlan, good for you. I am embarrassed that I didn't spot that. You're a good man and quite observant.

Here's the solution to the problem! At least it would be in the USA where JR and Futaba utilize different shifts in their modulation.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Yeah, when are you Brits going to begin speaking proper English like we colonialists?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

some antistatic wipes maybe.