advanced canard plans

Hi,

I've been looking for a set of plans, or at lest dimensionalized drawings for a particular aircraft, specifically the Grumman x-29 (plan on using a pusher prop). It would appear that there would need to be some modifications to make it reasonable stably, and might even need gyro assistance at that. At any rate, I've got "the bug", and wonder if anyone has seen any plans resembling this, or if this will have to be a true scratch build.

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Bob Banka's plans service has a 3-view. I have a book of X-planes that does -- if I remember I'll bring it down and give you the info.

I suspect that you could easily make it longitudinally stable by correct placement of the CG, but it may be hard to get it directionally stable without either a big rudder or a gyro -- and with a gyro you'll still have drift, it'll just get it down to a speed you can deal with.

I'd build lots of little foamy gliders before I committed to a nice model, I think.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

quite scale but quite close

Reply to
funfly3

Tim,

Thanks for the Banka link. I had previously heard about Bob, but had never used his service, and had forgotten about him.

From what I've read about the actual X-29, I think a lot of the stability problems had to do with a hypercritical airfoil that also was built to flex assymetrically. It also appears to have a small rudder, but since it won't be scale anyway, that shouldn't be difficult to fix.

I had planned on building a symmetrical wing based on a pattern profile (not scale), and probably lengthening the wings a bit. Although I want to build it as a pusher, it may not prove to be practical. After running some rough numbers through a CG calculator, it appears that the CG will need to be a good bit forward of the leading edge at the root.

Much as I hate messing with them, you are probably right about the foamies.

Bob

Reply to
Bob