Alpha 4 update plans

The question was asked:

Are their any plans to update the Alpha 4 to include Lithium-Polymer/Ion?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Litco Systems" To: "Red Scholefield" Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 1:39 PM Subject: Re: Question

Hi Red,

All devices in Alpha4 are implemented in firmware so adding capabilities would involve changes in internal programming and modification of the external label. Unfortunately I am totally engaged with another project and do not have any available time to work on Alpha4.

Peter

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Thanks Red for the update.

As I think about it, with the 1 amp limitation, the Alpha 4 might not be the best choice to change to a Lithium charger anyway. The Alpha 4 is a great charger for us NiCd users anyway. BTW, I have 9 and number

10 is on order.

Dan Thompson

Reply to
IFLYJ3

Thanks Red, that's good to know. I already own two of the A4's and just a few days ago got in an order for what would be my third. However, since Peter says he is "totally engaged with another project and does not have any available time to work on the Alpha4", that pretty much tells me that the Alpha4 is set in stone and no further improvements will be made. To be honest, I've been sort of expecting, or at least hoping, that the A4's I now own would at some time be able to be upgraded. Since Peter says any change would also require a label change (expensive considering that the label is integral to the keypad), the door is definitely closed on any possibility of ANY upgrade for current A4's. So, I think I'll just sit on my money this time around and let Litco send the one I have reserved to the next guy in line. The two A4's I have are more than enough to take care of my Nicads and occasional NimH, so I think I'll start looking for something a bit more capable for the newer batteries. It's nice that Peter is being candid about the future of the Alpha4, but it certainly did cost him at least one sale (mine). I think the end of the Alpha4 "dynasty" is near anyway because I ordered mine almost an hour after the lottery starting time and still got a confirmed order. Not that long ago, the lottery would close in just minutes. At the moment, it looks like the Miniron or the Hughes are the way to go because I will NOT consider any charger that has less than 4 ports. I have just too many batteries to consider a single or even double port charger like the Triton. What's your take at this time on the Minron and Hughes chargers?

Thanks again for the info.

MJC

"Red Scholefield" wrote in message news:mfp4d.55917$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
MJC

| However, since Peter says he is "totally engaged with another | project and does not have any available time to work on the Alpha4", | that pretty much tells me that the Alpha4 is set in stone and no | further improvements will be made.

To be fair, I think many came to that conclusion a long time ago.

| To be honest, I've been sort of expecting, or at least hoping, that | the A4's I now own would at some time be able to be upgraded. Since | Peter says any change would also require a label change (expensive | considering that the label is integral to the keypad), the door is | definitely closed on any possibility of ANY upgrade for current | A4's.

Ultimately, the upgrade would probably take the form of a new PROM/EEPROM/whatever and a new label (to stick on the existing label) and some new documentation. The cost to produce these would probably be under $10 each -- the real work is in actually writing the new firmware, which he isn't going to do. (If the PROM is soldered in, then that would make upgrades harder, of course.)

The lottery system by itself suggests that he doesn't want to sell a lot of these -- usually when there's too large of a demand to fulfil yourself, people get help and make as many as are needed. I don't know what his motivation is for not doing this ...

| It's nice that Peter is being candid about the future of the Alpha4,

I don't know if he intended for that email to be posted to the world or not (though it seems reasonable for Red to do so either way.)

| but it certainly did cost him at least one sale (mine).

Yes, but your sale was replaced with somebody else's. It cost him nothing. If he's only going to make X units/month, and the actual demand is 3x that, there's no (economic) need to do anything to increase demand by improving the product.

| At the moment, it looks like the Miniron or the Hughes are the way to go | because I will NOT consider any charger that has less than 4 ports. I have | just too many batteries to consider a single or even double port charger | like the Triton.

For the record, the Triton is a single port charger. I don't know if this was your intent, but your sentence suggests that it's a double port charger, which it is not.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

FYI From: "Litco Systems" To: "Red Scholefield" Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 4:55 PM Subject: Re: Question

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Greetings,

You might find this link interesting RE: Lipo charger.

Regards, Art

Reply to
Art K6KFH