Re: Nicad RX pack

| What is an average voltage reading without load for a fully charged 4 cell | Nicad RX pack?

Freshly charged, with no load, the usual voltage of a single cell is about 1.4 volts. So your 4 cell pack would be about 5.6 volts.

HOWEVER

You may already know this, but a almost completely *discharged* pack may also show about 5.6 volts under no load. If you put it on a load, it'll drop a lot, but take the load away, and the voltage will creep back up, often very clsoe to that 5.6 volt figure.

So don't rely on the `no load' voltage for anything important.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com (Doug McLaren) wrote in news:Biq4d.25992$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.texas.rr.com:

Well, don't rely on it for state-of-charge information, but if you have a freshly-charged pack that shows a no-load voltage of, say, 4.1V, you can count on the fact that there's something seriously wrong with the pack.

Reply to
Mark Miller

The no-load voltage doesn't really matter. According to the instructions with my Hobbico digital voltmeter, a freshly charged 4.8v battery pack should not read below 5.40v under load. You can fudge on that a little bit, if you fly that battery regularly and are familiar with it, but the rule will keep you out of trouble. It certainly has worked for me.

Reply to
John R. Agnew