NiCad repair service on eBay

hey, a few months ago someone posted a link to a guy who has a eBay store who takes in non-functioning NiCad battery packs and refurbishes them, at what at the time seemed like a really great price. do any of you guys recall that and did any of you save that link? i saved it SOMEWHERE on my computer but can't find it now, i just tried to find it in R.C.M. archives but couldn't.

thanks.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Here's my rebuilder. They have done a great job for me and we have a LOT of cordless production tools. Their rebuilds are better than OEM, running longer each day and lasting longer between rebuilds.

Tom Gardner

"William Wixon" wrote: (clip) do any of you guys recall that and did any of you save that link? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is probably the one...I saved it about that long ago: WC Battery Rebuilders

714 231-0271 snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net Now I'm going to add Tom Gardner's suggestion to my list.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

You can almost certainly get it done locally - look in the yellow pages, or the local paper. Its a booming industry, mainly due to laptops. And yes, if they use premium Japanese cells instead of the Chines crap, performance is MUCH better.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Thanks for the tip. We go through a bunch of 24 volt units pruning apple trees, sawsall. BTW, I really like their motto: we screw longer and harder.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:tDsRh.134929$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

They neatened-up their web page recently, they must have gotten some grief. They had some very humorous quips about all their people and they are a BIZARRE group. They are in a small Ohio town and need to get out more.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

OK, this isn't exactly what you asked for but it may be helpful.

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

Reply to
JR North

NiCad batteries show excellent performance in high-discharge and low-temperature applications, such as powertool batteries. They also have long shelf and use life. NiMh costs more and has half the service life of the NiCd cell, but it also has 30% more capacity. (copied from the Voltman site)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
JR North

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 20:43:58 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, JR North quickly quoth:

Don't Nicad and NimH cells charge and float differently, requiring a different charger?

-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
JR North

A while back, I went to a place called batteries plus here in Phx. I wanted to rebuild a fluke battery pack and needed AA Nicads with a solder tab. I asked the guy at the counter for 6 solder tab batteries. He said we don't sell them, what do you need them for. I said to rebuild my battery pack. Then the guy says We can do that for you, here is the price. Well the price is about twice what the batteries cost. So I say you don't sell individual batteries, only packs.... OK, I want 6 one cell AA battery packs. He says no... Ok, I'll just take 6 standard AA NiCad's and solder to them. The Guy goes through the roof... I wont sell them to you, you will be killed soldering to batteries, you will go blind he says, you will loose your fingers.... etc etc etc. So OUT the door I go... waving a finger (or two) at him...

HF had the standard batteries cheaper anyway and when I got done soldering up the new pack, I still had all my fingers and toes!!!!! Ive been soldering to batteries forever, without a problem....

bob in phx (who will never go to batteries plus again)

Reply to
Bob in Phx

This should probably come with a lot more disclaimers than it does) and probably not recommended for "industrial batteries," but I have ressurected a few batteries that I had marked for dead using this method. Works very well (Inluding on an electric toothbrush!)

surftom

thanks Leo, voltmanbatteries.com was the link i was thinking of though. thanks for mentioning Tom's reply, i wouldn't've seen it if you hadn't mentioned it, i've had Tom on my "blocked sender" list for a while now. Thanks Tom, voltmanbatteries was the link i was thinking of, i mailed my batteries to him yesterday, now anxiously awaiting their return. i was overjoyed when i re-read their website, only $35 rebuilt instead of the $60 to $80 what others were asking for new. Andrew, thanks, i looked in my local phone book but didn't see anything, sent 'em to voltman. Karl, i'm glad i brought the topic up again for discussion. thanks LimeyLew, that's something huh? the guy is selling instructions on eBay, wow. i sent my batteries to voltman though. huh! JR, thanks for your reply, and link. that's great about your Roomba and NiMh conversion trick. would i've been able to continue to use the supplied NiCad charger with the NiMh batteries? Oh i just saw your follow up post. huh. now i'm having regrets. :-( (just clicked on your link and said out loud "JEE-sus", they've got a lot of batteries huh?!) Bob in Phx, funny story. huh! glad to hear the outcome (left the store and soldered 'em up on your own, w/o injuries or destruction) thanks for the link Surftom, actually that was one of the first things i came across when i put "reviving NiCads" into Google. i have a dialup connection so was shy about watching the video and/but did eventually watch the video (after i'd mailed off my batteries) and started to feel some REAL regrets (coulda done the job for FREE instead of $80 or even $35 bucks!!!) but i'm still feeling like i did the first time i came across that article, i'd be afraid to screw up somehow and blow up the batteries. i remember reading a LONG thread on this topic years ago and all the cautions the guys there were throwing out (someone warned against using 110 volts and the leads welding onto the batteries, etc.), at the time it seemed like there were SO many things that could go wrong. maybe next time though, got to keep that trick in mind. seems too good to be true though.

thanks everyone.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

anyone ever hear of this method to fix a shorted nicad?

120V ac house current feed one wire through a single diode(to make pulsed DC) then through a 100W light bulb, (a 100W current limiting resistor) then to the dead battery, then to other 120V lead. Check your polatirty and connect battery correctly, depends on which way you connect the diode.

IIRC, a few seconds to a minute is all thats needed.

1N4004 works for the diode. 1A, 200V

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

I use 2 car batteries in series (24 volts) with a headlight bulb to limit the current to about 4 amps. 10 seconds usually gets a

14 volt NiCad pack up to 15 volts so the recharger can take over.
Reply to
Nick Hull
1004 is a 600v - but in fact should work. It might have more leakage, but more likely the same as the 002 (100v) 003 ( 200v) ... Google the part number. Fairchild semi. is one source - digikey is the source for many. data sheet on a semi or digikey.

Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Randy wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

"William Wixon" wrote in message news:DNkRh.6296$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny...

well, so, wanted to post a follow up. i received my refurbished batteries from voltman.com 2 days ago. everything was in order, (i sent two batteries, received two batteries back, the batteries appeared fine, no damage, etc., there were no other surprise fees or charges, etc.) charged them up as per the instruction sheet that accompanied the batteries. i'm entirely pleased with voltman.com's service. only thing though, and i'm curious about this, my drill DID actually seem peppy-ier and stronger than i ever remember it being. in their ads voltman.com says they replace your dead batteries with even STRONGER batteries. i mean, seriously, my drill seemed like it was in hyperdrive. there were lots more sparks coming out of the brushes than i remember and the electric brake seemed to engage quicker/harder than i ever remember it doing. i put a voltmeter on the batteries and they both seemed to me to be reading 16.5 volts (the battery packs are rated 14.4) there are three contacts on my batteries (and that is something i cannot understand) when i touch one contact it reads 16.5 and when i touch the other it reads 14.4. there are only two contacts on the drill and those two correspond to the two contacts on the battery that are reading 16.5. what i was hoping to ask here is if there is any risk that running 16.5 volts in a 14.4 drill could damage the drill? other than that i'm entirely pleased with voltman.com and thanks to everyone, specifically Tom Gardner, for turning me on to them.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Probably not enough to un-plonk me...That's ok, I plonked myself a long time ago...I ADMIT I'm an idiot!

Reply to
Tom Gardner